nasiona marihuany

Historia/Pochodzenie - The Haze Story

Wyszukiwarka Forumowa:

Don Z Dolni

Buchów
tekst podziele na 2 posty bo jest za długi (The text that you have entered is too long (54833 characters). Please shorten it to 53000 characters long.)

I wrote an article on the History of Haze a while back, here it is in full:

Haze's roots and Sam the Skunkman

Haze has a somewhat clouded history, to say the least. The accepted story is that it has it's roots in the work of the Haze Bros in Corralitos, near Santa Cruz in central California between 1970 and 1975. The Haze Bros grew out many of the finest sativas from imported seeds from Colombia, Mexico, Thailand and South India and hybridised them. Robert Connell Clarke explains the origins of Haze in his 'Origins of the Species' article published in Issue 60 of Cannabis Culture magazine:

“The Original Haze is a late-maturing variety from Central California and was almost always grown in greenhouses, allowing it to finish in December or January. Original Haze was always connoisseur stash, and even in the 1970s it sold for as much as $200 an ounce. Original Haze is a pure sativa stabilised hybrid arising from crossing all of the best females with a male of a different imported sativa variety each year. Starting with Colombian/Mexican hybrids grown from seeds from the first crop, a South Indian male plant was used as a pollen source the second year, and a Thai male plant was used the third year. Depending on which year Haze seeds were collected, they resembled either Colombian, South Indian of Thai plants. Original Haze varies in taste from citrus Thai notes through the gamut of sativa highlights to the deep spicy purple Colombian flavour most common in Dutch Haze cultivars.”

The exact cultivars grown by the Haze Bros are unknown, but the Colombians are said to include Highland Gold and Wacky Weed, the South Indian originated in the Kerala region. The selection of the Colombian and Mexican plants being based on which of them would mature under glass at Santa Cruz's latitude (36.9N). The Haze Bros were sensimilla growers and sold the various phenotypes of Haze under names such as Purple Haze, Silver Blue Haze and Lime Green Haze, the purple batches fetching upto $500 an ounce according to Sam the Skunkman.

The Bros were growers not breeders and never worked their hybrids into a consistent seedline, this happened later when one of their Santa Cruz neighbours and cannabis collaborators, Sam the Skunkman worked with their seed to produce the Haze seedline we know today. Sam explained a little about the process in a post at icmag.com in 2008:

“Original Haze was fairly consistant as F1's but by the time it was f5 and above it segregated out into many different related lines. I have not worked Original Haze as much as tried to save it, I collected as much seed as I could in the early 70's grew them and did free pollinations and did minimal selection to ensure I saved as many genes as I could. That was in the 70's & 80's now I have clones for the last 20 years. My Original Haze is not done being worked on that is why I tell people to use it as breeding materials.”

Haze genetics were brought to a worldwide audience in 1984 when Sam the Skunkman moved to Holland, taking the Haze genes with him and thus introducing them to the commercial cannabis seed business. In his handwritten Cultivator's Choice seed catalogue #4 from fall 1985, Sam lists Haze as #10 in his line-up of ten strains:

“Original Haze Sativa Pure, (Selfed)
All sativa but is an inconsistent hybrid. 10% are spectacular, 75% good, 10% poor. Truly superior sweet taste. High incredibly clear and up energy. Height 2-3m. Yield: 100-300gm. Harvest: December (flowers 3 months for quality). Will not mature outdoors in Holland or Northern California. Haze is Cultivator's Choice's personal favourite.”

At this point Sam didn't offer any Haze hybrids, however Haze doesn't work very well indoors under lights so it was inevitable that hybrids would be made to allow indoor growers to experience a part of the Haze genetics.

Neville and the hybridisation of Haze

At the same time as Sam was bringing a handful of the best American genetics to Holland, a young Dutch/Australian man called Neville Schoenmakers was raking in huge piles of cash dollars through his company The Seed Bank. Neville had placed an ad in High Times in 1984 and immediately the envelopes stuffed with dollar bills began arriving by the sackload. According to Steven Hager's 'Inside Cannabis Castle' article published in High Times in March 1987:

“In the last year his company supplied $500,000 worth of seeds to 15,000 American growers. If you smoked high-quality marijuana sometime in the last three years, chances are the buds were grown with Neville's stock.”

Neville collected as many seeds as he could from a myriad of sources and grew them out in search of breeding plants. He purchased an old Victorian house located near the German border which he named 'The Cannabis Castle' and converted the lower two floors into sophisticated growing facilities, the gardens being filled with greenhouses. Neville obtained Haze seeds and from these he grew three plants which he called A, B and C; A and C were males, B was a female.

The Haze controversy begins at this point and revolves around the origin of the Haze seeds that Neville grew his three Haze plants from, Sam the Skunkman insists that Neville obtained his Haze seeds from him after he arrived in Holland; on the other hand, Neville told the story of obtaining the seeds from a guy in New York who had an old seed collection and the seeds were from Haze Bros stock circa 1969.

Sam posted on icmag on 25th February 2008:

“It is absurd that Neville said he got 1969 O Haze seeds from the Haze Bros.
#1 Neville first traveled to USA in 86 or 87 at the earliest, the main Haze Brother, R was gone, retired in Mexico by 82 he did not come back for 10 years. He was the one that created O Haze. The second Haze Brother J quit growing O Haze about 1980 and only grew Skunk #1 after that, until he became a reborn christian, then he quit growing, and anyway recently he told me he never met Neville and he certainly did not sell any Haze seeds to him or anyone else ever.
#2 The Haze Bros had a falling out in the late 70's and stopped talking to one another, for certain they did not sell seeds as the Haze Bros to anyone, it is ridiculous as well as impossible.
Lets be honest Neville got the seeds from me, but he had promised me that he would not make pure Haze and sell them as such, I told him it was fine to make Haze hybrids with other varieties that were not mine.
He broke his word and started selling Haze pure and hybrids with my varieties, and I stopped working with him.
Maybe he lied to avoid the problems that accompany breaking your word? I can not say, but I know Neville did not meet the Haze Bros and did not get any O Haze seeds from them. Both the Haze Bros were close friends of mine and both were close neighbors for years, J lived a few hundred meters from my house until he departed to Mexico.”

So Sam says he was the source of Neville's Haze seeds, Neville says not; only Sam and Neville know the truth, so let's leave the controversy there and focus on the Haze genetics themselves!

Sam himself created a number of Haze hybrids with Haze x Skunk #1 and Haze x Keralan South Indian Sativa being the two that are most widely known and are sold by The Flying Dutchmen as Fuma Con Diablos and Haze Mist.

Neville had three Haze plants which he called A, B and C. A and C were males, B was a female. The Haze B female was not an impressive looking plant and didn't have a pleasant high when smoked, so it was discarded. The Haze A male had a spicy smell/taste whereas the Haze C male had a more dark earthy Chocolate Thai type smell and taste. It is thought that the A male is a Colombian dominant pheno, the C being a Thai dominant one.

In the 1988 The Seed Bank catalogue Neville writes:

"Haze is a late sativa from America, widely agreed by experts to be the best pot in the world. Very popular in the 70's, it nearly became extinct in recent years as growers switched to easier varieties. We managed to salvage a few viable seeds from the last crop grown in America and we have used them to produce some remarkable hybrids. Haze is known for an extreme, almost psychedelic spaciness. The fragrance is complex and deep with a dry flowery perfume over a base of dark leathery animal tones. When used in a hybrid it adds fascinating notes of depth and complexity to the taste, as well as a unique addition to the high. While not for everyone, the most jaded connoisseur will often find haze irresistible.”

The first Haze hybrid to appear was Haze x NL #1 f-1 hybrid, listed in the 1988 The Seed Bank Catalogue, it is unknown what parent plants made up this strain which was only sold for one year. NL #1 is/was a true-breeding Afghani so both males and females were available for breeding, perhaps Neville crossed a NL#1 male to his only Haze female (B).

Neville made a number of crosses using his two Haze males; He crossed the the Haze A male to his Northern Lights #5 and Hashplant female clones and a Skunk #1 female (#17 from seed). He also crossed the Haze C male to his G13 female clone, a Hawaiian Sativa female and a Durban Sativa female. The Hawaiian and Durban hybrids both won Cannabis Cups in the pure sativa category which gives a very strong endorsement of the breeding pedigree of the Haze C male. The G13 x Haze C male hybrid appeared in The Seed Bank catalogue in 1989 but the genetics apparently didn't combine well and the seeds were only sold for one year. The Hashplant and Skunk hybrids were never offered for sale, but the NL5 x Haze A male cross turned out to be something special, and Neville's original description in the 1989 The Seed Bank catalogue has always made me chuckle:

"HAZE X NL#5
1989 - Due to tremendous customer demand, we have spent years searching for a superb Sativa/Indica hybrid that is suited for indoor growing but still retains the unique sativa qualities in the high. The Haze X NL#5 hybrid is the result of this search. A note of warning: Adverse effects have been known to occur among inexperienced smokers, particularly when combined with alcohol. Side effects may include nausea, dizzyness, fainting and loss of bowel and bladder control. Extreme introspective behavior is considered normal."

the 1995 Sensi Seed Bank Catalogue states:

“This hybrid is the pinnacle of achievement in Cannabis breeding today. The result: an extremely potent plant with a great Sativa high. At the Harvest festivals in the early nineties this strain was already miles ahead of its competitors. Even today it has not yet been surpassed. The high yields compensate for the slightly longer flowering period. Hybrid vigour provides for lush growth, heavy bud formation and abundant resin. A true champion!”

The NL5 x Haze A seedline was to become the source of breeding plants that form the foundations of the later Haze hybrids created by Neville and Shantibaba – Super Silver Haze, Neville's Haze and Mango Haze. As it plays such an important role as a building block in the Haze story, let us familiarise ourselves with Northern Lights #5 (NL5). Steven Hager's description from his 'Inside Cannabis Castle' article published in High Times in March 1987 gives you a good idea why Neville chose it as a breeding plant:

State of the art indoor indica. Originating out of the Pacific Northwest, it is the result of many years of indoor breeding – three to four crops per year for a total of perhaps thirty to forty generations in the last ten years. The picture in Neville's catalogue is a cutting of my personal favourite, C1 #5 f1. Unfortunately, no seeds are available of the strain, only cuttings. If anyone can come up with anything more resinous than this, I'd like to see it. Does not have much taste. The breeder bred a very specific goal in mind: high resin content. He certainly succeeded. The grass is a mellow indica that gets you pleasantly stoned – almost the opposite of Afghani #1. Although there are tastier varieties, I could smoke this one all day.

Shantibaba described the NL5 cutting in an internet post at mrnice.nl in 2008:

“The origins of the NL we have been using to breed with are Afghan, worked on in America in the 80s and Holland...one of the plants that has lead to a multitude of hybrids. There is no Thai in our version it is pretty much a 100% indica plant finishes 45-55 days and is exceptionally resinous.”

An exceptionally resinous clone that represented the state of the art in indoor indica genetics is the obvious choice to hybridise a pure sativa like Haze. The great success subsequently enjoyed by the Haze x NL5 hybrids and their derivatives shows that Neville made a wise choice when he crossed Haze to the Northern Lights #5 cutting.
The Cannabis Cup

While in Holland to meet Neville and write the 'Inside Cannabis Castle' article, High Times editor Steven Hager also met up with Sam the Skunkman and came up with the idea for the Cannabis Cup after hearing Sam's tales of the harvest festivals held in California in the 1970s. Held in November 1988, the first High Times Cannabis Cup was an informal affair with only four companies – Neville's The Seed Bank, Ben Dronker's Sensi Seed Club, Super Sativa Seed Club (SSSC) and Cultivator's Choice (Sam the Skunkman). Sam won with Skunk #1 but decided he was disenchanted with the idea of competitions and retired from them. Sam sold his genetics to Neville, Ben Dronkers and Eddy Rekedder (who later founded The Flying Dutchmen Seed Company and The Cannabis College) so ensuring the genes he brought with him from the US became some of the building blocks of modern hybrids.

The same four companies contested the second Cannabis Cup the following year and Neville's The Seed Bank won a clean sweep of all the awards using the genetics purchased from Sam. Haze x South African Sativa winning the Pure Sativa Cup and Early Pearl x Skunk No.1 x Northern Lights No.5 x Haze taking the Mostly Sativa Cup. The following year saw Neville repeat the clean sweep, Haze x Hawaiian wining the pure Sativa Cup and Northern Lights #5 x Haze the Mostly Sativa Cup. Northern Lights #5 won the Pure Indica Cup.

Operation Green Merchant

The High Times article, especially the picture of Neville counting large sums of US dollars brought not only valuable publicity but also unwanted attention in the form of a DEA crackdown on the hydroponics industry, head shops and cannabis growers. Operation Green Merchant began on the 26th October 1989, the DEA in conjunction with dozens of other law enforcement agencies raided hydroponics stores in 46 states, arresting 119 people, seizing several indoor gardening shops and thousands of cannabis plants. Ray Boyd described the carnage in an article published in issue 56 of Cannabis Culture magazine:

“Store owners and employees watched in horror as gun-toting police ransacked their shops. In most cases, no charges were ever filed, but civil asset forfeitures stole millions of dollars worth of inventory from stores and individuals. One cultivation-centered pot magazine, Sensimilla Tips, went out of business, and High Times spent years recovering from the loss of its most lucrative advertisers.

In 1991, DEA agents began serving subpoenas on hydro storeowners, seeking customer addresses and other private information. Agents raided, questioned, and intimidated hundreds of people and organizations, including scientists and NASA's horticultural research facilities. By the end of 1991, Green Merchant had arrested 1,262 people, dismantled 977 indoor grows, and seized $17.5 million in assets. Dozens of people served 4 to 15 year prison terms, many with mandatory minimums that did not allow for sentence reduction.”

On June 24, 1990, Neville was arrested by the Australian authorities at the behest of the US government while visiting family in Perth. A 44-count indictment was lodged in New Orleans, charging him with the sale of marijuana seeds to undercover agents and indoor growers in the New Orleans area in 1989. Neville was detained in Australia, not charged with anything but awaiting the results of an extradition hearing. Peter Gorman explained what happened in issue 59 of Cannabis Culture magazine:

“Shoenmakers was caught on a visit to his home in Australia, but fortunately a judge with power over his being granted bond—which the DEA fought fiercely—had a wife with a heart. The wife apparently liked to smoke a little pot before sex, and suggested to her husband that if he had Shoenmakers kept in jail to be extradited to the US, his sex life would run dry. The judge saw the light, granted bail and gave Shoenmakers his passport and a 24-hour head start before notifying US authorities, who were livid when they discovered that Shoenmakers had disappeared.”

So with the help of a randy judge's wife, Neville skipped bail and fled back to Holland where he could live without fear of extradition to the US as his seed company had been fully licensed by the Dutch government, he had not broken any Dutch laws and held a Dutch passport.

The end of The Seed Bank, Sensi Seeds is born

During this period Neville sold the Cannabis Castle and his breeding plants to Ben Dronkers who owned the competing Sensi Seed Club, the new company was called Sensi Seed Bank. Neville continued to work for Sensi Seed Bank as a breeder and Northern Lights #5 x Haze won awards for Sensi in the 1990, 1993 and 1996 Cannabis Cups.

Sensi Seeds also released a Haze hybrid called Silver Haze which is a cross of Silver Pearl to Haze. Sensi's description for Silver Haze:

Although the cerebral high of the Sativa is preferred by many, indoor growers aren't too fond of this type; Sativas get very tall, take a long time to finish off and produce skimpy yields. We have spent years searching for a superb Indica/Sativa hybrid suited for indoor growing. By crossing the Haze, the most powerful Sativa in the world, to a non-dominant Indica we managed to get the height and flowering time of the plant down to an acceptable level and still retain the unique Sativa qualities of the high.

Silver Pearl was created by pollinating the Northern Lights #5 female cutting with an Early Pearl x Skunk #1 male. Early Pearl is a cross of Early Girl x Pollyana, two Califonian cultivars brought to Holland by Sam in 1984. Early Girl was an f2 indica x sativa outdoor hybrid created in Northern California and Pollyana was a Mexican-derived strain. Neville created Early Pearl in 1987 using plants grown from the seeds purchased from Sam. Neville later inbred the line for 3 generations, resulting in Early Pearl Improved which appeared in the 1988 The Seed Bank Catalogue. Silver Pearl was also created by Neville, the male being a plant from his Early Pearl x Skunk #1 seed line which was also listed in the 1988 The Seed Bank catalogue and was described as having buds larger than either parent due to hybrid vigour; the female was the NL5 female cut. Silver Pearl won a Cannabis Cup in the Seed Company category in 1993.

After Neville moved on from Sensi Seeds, more Haze-based cultivars would appear. Jack Herer was released at the 1994 Cannabis Cup; here is Sensi's original Jack Herer description:

Jack HererŸ is a multiple hybrid, the result of many years of selective breeding, combining 3 of the strongest marijuana varieties known to man. Even though we are regularly put under pressure by obsessed growers to give pedigree details, I'm afraid that just as with the Coca Cola recipe this Sensi variety will have to remain a secret. This variety produces so much resin that even the branches bristle with stalked glands. This strain was presented at the High Times Cannabis Cup in honour of Jack Herer, one of America's greatest Cannabis activists and author of The Emperor Wears No Clothes. High Times Magazine: "The bud was heavy with crystals and resin; the high was immediate and cerebral. An excellent strain".

While Sensi say the exact lineage is a closely-guarded secret, it is accepted that Jack Herer is a 3-way hybrid of Skunk #1, Northern Lights #5 and Haze. The precise lineage is probably Haze x [Northern Lights #5 x (Northern Lights #5 x Skunk #1)] which suggests that Sensi began by selecting a male from their NL5 x SK1 seedline (AKA Shiva Skunk) and backcrossing him to the NL5 female cutting. As Sensi purchased Neville's breeding plants, they had both the Haze A and C males, so it is likely that they then chose a female NL5 x (NL5xSK1) plant and pollinated it with one of the Haze males to create Jack Herer., this would make Jack 50% Haze, 37.5% NL5 and 12.5% SK1. This gives Jack Herer a similar composition to Super Silver Haze and Mango Haze which are 50% Haze, 25% NL5 and 25% SK1.

Jack Herer is an unstable hybrid and therefore plants grown from seed tend to be quite varied. However, the quality of the phenotypes within the line is generally excellent and many people have selected long term keepers. Sensi Seeds have written new, several paragraph long, detailed descriptions of their strains for their 2008 catalogue, here is an extract from the Jack Herer entry that gives a good description of the phenotypical variation:

Plants from seed show favourable variation, due to Jack Herer’s complex background and delicate balance right at the cusp of Sativa and Indica. Enhanced features from both sides of the family are strongly evident and are expressed in different combinations, allowing growers to select mother plants tailored to their circumstances and tastes.

Three of Jack’s four main phenotypes are heavily Sativa-influenced while the fourth has a growth pattern leaning towards Indica - fast-flowering and relatively compact with a dense, expansive, rounded bud structure that’s suited to cash-cropping. Jack’s Sativa phenotypes can also produce a good per-metre or per-plant yield when cultivated skilfully, though it is rare for these crops to be sold commercially. Most growers who have watched their succulent, super-sized calyxes swell and mature will be hesitant to sell such buds, and the best Jack Herer is often passed around a select circle of friends - an example of one of those things that money just can’t buy.

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and if that is the case, the number of Jack Herer-derived seed lines available from a number of seedbanks is strong testimony to the success of Sensi's original. Nirvana and Black Label have produced straight-up copies, Dutch breeder Sannie has released a much worked f5 version he calls Sannie's Jack.Somahas used Jack Herer genes in his Reclining Buddha, Somango, Kahuna and Amethyst Bud seed lines. Female Seeds, World of Seeds and Sweet Seeds have all released feminised hybrids containing Jack Herer genes.

Sensi Seeds themselves sell two Jack Herer-derived seedlines – Jack Flash and Mother's Finest. Jack Flash is probably a cross of a Super Skunk to a Haze dominant pheno of Jack Herer, or perhaps a Superskunk x Haze male was used to pollinate a Jack Herer female. Sensi's description of Jack Flash gives a good description of the strain but does not clearly state it's exact lineage:

Jack Herer’s sublime gene-pool has been refined, with desired traits reinforced largely through back-crossing. Over multiple generations, our favourite Herer mother was infused with a precise blend of Super Skunk and Haze, undergoing rigorous selection and testing at every stage.

Jack Flash is the triumphant outcome of that program — inbred with the bulk and vigour of her Afghani-Skunk ancestors without sacrificing any of Herer’s sumptuous Haze high. In isolating this particular balance of traits, the four common phenotypes of Jack Herer are reduced to two recurring forms in Jack Flash, representing the contrasting sides of her heritage. The Indica form is compact enough for SOG, with rapid and highly distinctive bud development. Calyxes swell to outrageous sizes, piling atop each other to form resin-saturated ropes which build into multi-point crowns on terminal buds.

Mother's Finest is not a Jack Herer hybrid, rather it is a worked derivative selected towards the Haze side of it's lineage, as explained in Sensi Seeds' description:

Another incredible hybrid with roots in the Jack Herer breeding program, this next-generation Sativa is one of Sensi’s more recent creations. Upon release, Mother's Finest was an instant hit, winning first place for Sativa at the 2002 Cannabis Cup just a few months later. Mother's Finest is more a Hazey offshoot of the Herer line than a direct Jack-descendant. However, just like Jack Flash, Mother's Finest is best understood as a purposeful fine-tuning of Jack Herer’s multi-faceted gene pool.

The Greenhouse Years - Super Silver Haze, Mango Haze and Neville's Haze

Despite their current claims to have been an established seed company since 1985, the history of Arjan Roskam's Greenhouse dates back to the 10th of August 1992 when he opened his first coffeeshop Greenhouse Tolstraat in Amsterdam's Old South. A second shop called Greenhouse Namaste opened on the Waterlooplein on the 21st of April 1995 and around the same time Arjan teamed up with Australian breeder Shantibaba (Scott Blakey). They launched Greenhouse Seeds in time for the 1995 Cannabis Cup, the strains were bred by Shantibaba and included famous names like White Widow, White Rhino, Great White Shark and El Nino. Greenhouse won multiple cups with these Shantibaba-bred strains, dominating the High Times Cannabis Cup in the same way Neville had in the early years of the event.

A third coffeeshop called Greenhouse Centrum opened on the 1st of June 1997 on Oudezijds Voorburgwal in the Red Light District and after retiring from full-time breeding Neville became a co-owner of this shop with Arjan.Neville and Shantibaba began working together on breeding projects and each chose a female from a large crop of over 1000 NL5 x Haze A plants, the female Neville chose became the female half of Super Silver Haze (SSH), whereas Shantibaba's choice became the mother of Mango Haze. Shantibaba explained the selections in two posts on the mrnice.nl forum in April 2007:

“SSH is just one of those seed F1s that you are guaranteed of finding something great in every packet. Of course it is a small sample but you should have no problems. Consider this, to find the SSH female parent it took Nev over 1000 seeds flowered out over several years. Then doing the progeny test, which ultimately is the only true test of breeding, took alot of us several attempts to be sure the selection was true . This strain has had alot of breeding work over alot of years and it is not for no reason that it is so close to so many people worldwide.”

“The reason I went on with MH and Nev went on with the SSH was personal taste differences. The majority of people we gave both to taste initially went for the SSH and therefore it was named and its history is written. But my choice was MH and for any of you

Don Z Dolni

Buchów
who manage to find a great mum keep her well as I believe you will not find a better example of such a sweet smelling, cerebral effecting plant.”

SSH was created by crossing Neville's selected NL5 x Haze A to a Skunk x Haze A male. It was entered in the Hydro category of the 1997 Cannabis Cup and won 1st prize. SSH seeds were made available during the 1998 Cup and SSH again won the Hydro category as well as taking the overall 1st place and El Nino, another Haze hybrid by Shantibaba placing second overall. SSH took 1st again at the 1999 Cannabis Cup to complete a remarkable hat-trick of victories. Here is Shantibaba's description of SSH from mrnice.nl:

“A champion of champions since winning its hat-trick at the 1997, 1998, and 1999 High Times Cannabis Cups and comprising of the most commercial strains known to the uncivilized world: Skunk, NL and Haze. Such achievements confer an undoubtedly regal pedigree. It has an excellent breed for those who wish to possess the stash of stashes and leaves one gasping for reality. This complex hybrid is in the cutting edge in practical Haze hybrids, designed to astound the grower and consumer alike. Recommendation is unnecessary as most people can not see the Haze for their daze.”

Neville's Haze

Shantibaba and Neville decided to make a new more Haze dominant hybrid and crossed the Haze C male to a selected NL5 x Haze female, this was sold by GHS as Neville's Haze, it was a cup winner in 1998, the year it was released. Neville's Haze is the most Haze dominant hybrid that will perform indoors, under lights and having both the A and C males in it's lineage, it contains phenotypes that express both the Colombian and Thai sides of the Haze genetics. Here is the original description from the GHS catalogue:

Pedigree: Almost pure Haze with just a hint of Indica (Northern Lights).
Awards: Never entered in any competition.
Strength: The most potent variety of its kind on or off the market. Not recommended for inexperienced smokers - too trippy - too profound.
Flowering Times: Indoors: should be started under 12 hours of lights. The earliest will finish in 14 weeks (25%). Those that take much longer than this are usually discarded as not practical.
Outdoors: should be grown in the Tropics + started just before the on set of autumn. Yields are surprisingly good - the longer flowering time is usually compensated with extra large yields, both in and outdoors. Not for the novice smoker or grower.
Specifications: ~ Flower: 14 + weeks ~ Price: $175.00 (10 seeds) ~ Code: nh

Here is Shantibaba's description of Neville's Haze from mrnice.nl:

A tribute to the father of all modern seed companies, Neville Schoenmakers. There is something very special about this 3/4 sativa that those in the know will recognize once they smell the end product. It can be difficult to know what to base your selective reasoning on, but the plants that go longer than 16 weeks indoor will really not be of value in the end to indoor cultivators.A tip for those who do find a long flowering plant they wish to keep...clones usually finish 2-3 weeks quicker than the seed mother plant and therefore will give the grower a possibility to finish something that normally needs the tropics to grow in.The full flavor is sativa all the way so for you Indica lovers this plant will not be for you! It was made by combining a pure Haze to a NL5/Haze, thus creating probably one of the most influential plants of our time , certainly for flavor , aroma and effect. It is a must if you are within 10' of the equator for outdoor cultivation , but indoor would be recommended in other regions. All seed companies owe the ground work and origin of modern cultivars to Nevil . Like the man himself...the legend grows!

Shantibaba ended his involvement with Greenhouse Seeds after the 1998 Cannabis Cup and soon after, Neville also departed. Shantibaba explains what happened in the History of Mr Nice article published on the mrnice.nl website:

“I did not particularly like the event so decided to retire from it that year. Coincidentally my relationship with my Dutch partner deteriorated, and egos went crazy. As a result, I sold my interest in the Greenhouse Seed Company and, as a sole trader, set up Mr Nice Seedbank (MNS), which has always been and remains a Dutch company. Shortly afterwards, Neville also forego his interest in Greenhouse. MNS never entrusted plants to non-growers, including our ex-Dutch partners.”

Shantibaba took his breeding plants and seed collection and moved to Switzerland to continue his breeding work as he explains:

“In 1999, Dutch law changed and no longer permitted the production of seeds. Due to the Dutch gedogen law, however, selling seed imported from another country remained legal. We wanted to fulfil our project without breaking any country’s laws. Accordingly, MNS moved its growing operations to Switzerland, where the law permits growing cannabis for seed production. Many Dutch seed companies lost plants, mother rooms, and seed crops, but in Switzerland, MNS seed production blossomed.”

After Shantibaba and Neville parted ways with Greenhouse Seeds the details of the Haze genetics being offered by Arjan become difficult to discern, certainly the parent plants being used to make the Haze varieties offered had changed as Shanti and Neville took them when they left. However, this did not stop Greenhouse from continuing to sell the same Haze varieties they had before. I have no idea whether the varieties were reproduced by finding new parents from original seedstock or if the genetics were from another source, only Arjan and a select few at Greenhouse Seeds know the truth and to speculate is largely pointless. Arjan owns the copyright on the names White Widow, White Rhino, Great White Shark and others so is legally able to sell seeds with these names; however there are no laws governing the authenticity of the genetics so while the name remains the same, the genetics are subject to change. A good explanation was given by Shantibaba in a 2007 internet post:

“Seeds of Cannabis are not recognized as authentic except for various hemp strains the French managed to patent years ago. So every company who sells Cannabis seed has no patent nor ever can have a patent. The best they can do is try to copyright a name that includes their company name. That is the truth and therefore you see companies like GHSco now using everyone elses name of a strain even though they are using F1 seed to make these feminized versions...and it is not only them but many other companies that do that.”

“Since 1998 I must have answered several thousand complaints against Arjan's seed which he sells under GHSco. He will never admit it but he lost or killed most all plants that were left to himso he basically buys in seed from Ingemar(which is unpredictable at best) or tries to avoid true breeding by using hormones to feminize seed. The reason he feminizes seed is two fold, one it sells well to beginners or people wanting to only get females, and two because he has no idea of what male to breed with...nor does he have the males so as an alternative use the hormones to make seed from the female...a job anyone can do. The only problem now will come when people grow his types. And just a small tip for anyone who really wants to know, the loudest sound comes from an empty barrel...that is why he has god knows how many strains named after his own self...is it ego or insecurity...I will leave it to you to figure. “

Since the turn of the millenium, Greenhouse have released a host of new Haze varieties such as Arjan's Hazes 1, 2 and 3; Arjan's Ultra Hazes 1, 2 and 3 and Strawberry Haze. Concrete details about these strains and their genetic makeup are not readily available so it is unknown if they contain any of the Haze genetics introduced by Neville or if they are even Haze variations at all. Regardless of the authenticity or quality of his genetics, Arjan ensured that the Haze name remained a hot item in the world of cannabis seeds. Arjan's Ultra Haze #1 was created by crossing a Neville's Haze plant to a sativa from Laos and was entered in the 2006 Cannabis Cup, everyone who smoked it was unimpressed and very surprised when it won 1st prize.

When originally offered for sale, the lineage of Arjan's Haze #1 was listed as Nevilles Haze X Super Silver Haze X "secret haze" and Arjan’s Haze #2 as Neville’s Haze X Super Silver Haze X Laotian. It is unknown if these are the actual lineages or whether the seed was created by Greenhouse themselves or bought in from an outside source.

The lineage of Arjan's Strawberry Haze is listed as Swiss Sativa X [Northern Light #5 X Haze], this suggests that the strain was bought in seed form from a Swiss based grower as a Haze x Erdpurt hybrid was popular among outdoor growers during the brief Swiss cannabis growing boom in the early 2000s. Erdpurt is a traditional Swiss strawberry flavoured outdoor cultivar that is very hardy but low in potency and resin production. Arjan's Strawberry Haze was met with distinctly negative reactions on it's release in 2006, being derided by one veteran Haze smoker as having 'no taste, no THC, real hay'.

Meanwhile Shantibaba (as Mr Nice Seedbank) continued to offer Neville's Haze, Super Silver Haze, Mango Haze and El Nino (renamed La Nina as GHS owned the copyright on the name El Nino) using the same parent plants as he did in the years 1995 to 1998 while working at GHS.

Soma and G13Haze

In 2001 an unexpected new source of Haze genetics entered the scene, but yet again, rather than being completely new they were from the original Haze hybridisation work of Neville over a decade earlier. An expatriate American breeder called Soma resurrected some of Neville's genetics after being given ten old seeds by Ed Rosenthal. Soma tells the story on page 78 of his book Organic Marijuana Soma Style:

“In 2001 I tried sprouting some very old G-13 Haze seeds that came from Neville of cannabis genetics fame, They were created in 1988. I had ten of these 13-year-old seeds. Only one sprouted and it was a male. That left me with but one choice – in order to use the genetics, I had to breed the male to some of my existing strains and select some choice female phenotypes. As the G-13 Haze crosses circulate the globe, many growers are totally enthused by what they have come up with from these seeds. It has brought a heavy sativa influence to all the strains it has been hybridised with.”

Neville created the G13 x Haze cross in 1988 using the Haze C male and the female G13 clone. Neville describes the G13 cutting in the 1988 The Seed Bank catalogue:

“G13 is an outstanding indica cutting reputedly 'liberated' from the government research program in Mississippi, and now we have it. Widely grown as a commercial indoor plant in the US, G-13 has proven to be one of the best breeding plants in our collection. G13 hybrids have fast indoor flowering, high resin production,excellent potency, and extreme hybrid vigour.”

G13 x Haze seeds were offered for sale in the 1989 The Seed Bank catalogue but were only on sale for 1 year, apparently the genetics did not combine well. Neville never used the G13 x Haze genetics in any subsequent work and instead chose to work with the NL5 x Haze cross. The G13Haze male Soma found leans heavily to the Haze side of it's genetics, so I guess Soma's thinking was that he basically had a version of the Haze C male but with some G13 influence. Neville and Shantibaba proved that the Haze C male is a great breeding plant so Soma would have thought he had a similarly classic breeding male to work with. Soma wrote in his Hybridisation article:

“In my newest crossings between the G-13 Haze male (wanted to bring more of the sativa genetics into the mix) and Buddha’s Sister, Somango, Somativa, White Willow, Lavender, Citralah, White Light, New York City Diesel, Rockbud, Reclining Buddha, and Free Tibet, I am finding some of the finest plants ever.”

Other seed sellers have subsequently used Soma's G13Haze male cutting in their own hybrids. DNA Genetics have created several strains using this male such as Connie Chung, Sour Cream, Super Cannalope, Chocolope, C13 Haze and Martian Mean Green. Barney's Farm have also sold seeds created by a Dutch breeder using the G13haze male, in 2005 they won a Cannabis Cup for best sativa with a C5 x G13Haze male cross under the name Willy Nelson. The same breeder has also crossed the G13Haze male to Soma's Amnesia Haze and the A5 and C5 Haze cuts, these hybrids have been available in seed form from several shops in Amsterdam. Barney's Farm actually sell a seed line called G13Haze but it's exact lineage is unknown, it is listed by Barney's as G13 x Hawaiian sativa, but as the G13 clone has been dead for over a decade, it is more likely that is is a hybrid using pollen from the G13Haze male.

Self-confessed Haze lover ojd made this comment on the G13Haze male in an internet post on thcfarmer.com in December 2008:

“I have grown or smoked a lot(or most) of the varieties crossed to the G13Haze male by a lot of the companies – DNA, Soma and more and I must say if your looking to bring Haze flavours and qualities to the mix this is the clone you want, it really hazes up anything you cross it to and can even overtake the cross with mad haze.”

A of DNA Genetics had this so say about the G13Haze male in a post on thcfarmer.com in November 2008:

“we have been working with this male for 4-5 years now and we are always finding great things from him.“

Given that the G13Haze male is the only plant known to be in existence grown from original seed made by Neville in 1988, it is hardly representative of that hybrid. Also, being a Haze dominant phenotype with minimal G13 influence being apparent in his progeny, it can be considered that it has similar breeding properties to the original Haze C male that fathered it. The Haze C male has proven to be a great breeding plant, being used in many crosses by Neville and Shantibaba with great success; it therefore follows logically that the G13Haze male, being similar to his father should have similar breeding potential. The great success enjoyed by Soma and DNA Genetics in recent years with their hybrids using the G13Haze male therefore reinforces the reputation of it's Haze C male father and his influence on the commercial cannabis genepool.

Soma's Amnesia Haze

Soma also offers a seedline called Amnesia Haze which he claims he created from a Laotian sativa female and Shantibaba's Afghan/Hawaiian male, the strain description he wrote gives no clues to the lineage however:

“Amnesia Haze is one of the finest Hazes Soma Seeds has to offer. The smell and taste are unforgettable, until you smoke it and forget everything!”

Amnesia Haze was released in 2003 at the same time as the G13Haze crosses and was entered in the 2004 Cannabis Cup by where it won overall 1st place. Soma makes no mention of the breeding process that created Amnesia Haze in his book Organic Marijuana Soma Style. In the strain description for Super Silver Haze at mrnice.nl Shantibaba writes:

“A winner of multiple awards including 97,98 and 99 HTCC as well as it being called by other names in various different countries such as Amnesia haze, the Bomb etc…. “

Shantibaba clearly thinks that Amnesia Haze and SSH are related, perhaps Soma crossed a SSH mother to the G13Haze male to create Amnesia Haze? Some people speculate that Soma used one of the surviving Haze clones (A5 or C5) and pollinated her with the G13Haze male, this makes sense as Amnesia appeared at the same time as his G13Haze crosses.

The Dutch nutrient company Hy-Pro has also released a version of Amnesia Haze. Little information is available, but it may be Amnesia Haze x G13Haze male.

Surviving clones from Neville's original Haze hybrids

A number of clones still survive from the original work of Neville and are fairly widely held in Holland. The best known among these are A5 and C5. A5 is a mango tasting plant and is the mother of Mexican Haze and Ocean's Twelve Haze. C5 is a pheno selected from the thousand plus plant grow of NL5 x Haze A male that Neville did in the early nineties and from which he and Shantibaba selected the mothers of the SSH and Neville's Haze seedlines.

A5 Haze is a staple of coffeeshops in southern Holland such as the Toermalijn coffeeshop in Tilburg, Checkpoint in Terneuzen, Pax in Breda and at Willie Wortels in Haarlem.

Mexican Haze is A5 x Mexican sativa male, there are two phenotypes held as clones; the Mexican male no longer exists. The Dampkring coffeeship in Amsterdam has had Mexican Haze on it's menu. No Mercy Supply used Mexican Haze in a number of their hybrids, the greatest proportion being in the Mexican Haze x Victorie F1.

Another of Neville's Haze hybrids also resurfaced recently. Hashplant x Haze was first grown in Spain and is also known in some circles as HP13 or Hollywood Haze. Shantibaba distributed a large quantity of old Hashplant x Haze seeds in 2005 and this cutting was grown from those seeds by growers near Valencia. The clone travelled to Amsterdam and was popularised by THSeeds under the name HP13. THSeeds also offer a hybrid of this clone called PG-13 which is probably HP13 x G13Haze male. A of DNA Genetics explained the story in a post at thcfarmer.com in December 2008:

“We got a cutting in Spain 4 years ago of supposedly HP13 and when we grew this cutting out it took 12 weeks stretched like a sativa and smelled of haze. when it finally finished we knew it was Hash Plant Haze and after speaking with Shantibaba we got it right, but we also know for fact that he gave out the hp13 seeds also in Spain...
11-12 flowering and very nice yields. makes some of the best bubble hash around that i have seen.”

Haze once again dominates the Cannabis Cup

If we look at the top three strains from the last three Cannabis Cups we see the name Haze is very prominent. In 2006 Greenhouse took the top prize with Arjan's Ultra Haze #1, Barney's were 2nd with G13 Haze and Grey Area took 3rd with DNA's Martian Mean Green. Arjan's Ultra Haze #1 is a cross of Neville's Haze to a sativa from Laos and widely regarded as utter garbage, Martian Mean Green is Sharksbreath x G13Haze so the winner was 50% Neville's Haze, second place was 50% Haze C male and third place was 25% Haze C male.

At the 2007 Cannabis Cup Barney's claimed the overall 1st place with G13Haze and the Greenhouse took 3rd with Super Silver Haze, the Haze genes in each being from the Haze C male. DNA's Chocolope was 2nd and that is made up of OG Choc Thai x Cannalope Haze so probably contains a small amount of genes from either the Haze A or C males

The 2008 cup was again claimed by a Haze hybrid, this time Super Lemon Haze from the Greenhouse; Barney's placed second with Utopia Haze. The Utopia Haze is simply the old C5 Haze cut renamed so has a genetic makeup of NL5 x Haze A male. Everyone I talked to thought the Super Lemon Haze was actually Super Silver Haze, Greenhouse claim it is SSH x Lemon Skunk, but I'm not convinced of this. Chocolope was again third so for the third year in a row, all of the top 3 strains were based to some degree on two Haze males first grown from seed by Neville twenty years earlier.

If we list the nine strains that filled the top three places in the last three cannabis cups along with their lineage, it gives us a breakdown of what genetics are at the heart of the most successful strains today:

From this table we can see that only a tiny number of plants were originally used to create these genetics, the Haze A and C males making up the largest part; the Northern Lights #5 and G13 clones making up most of the remainder and there is a small amount of Skunk #1 in Super Silver/Lemon Haze. The minor contributions in terms of new genetics are from the Laos sativa in Arjan's Ulta Haze #1, the small amount of Jamaican Lambsbread and Great White Shark in Martian Mean Green and the supposedly Thai part of Chocolope.

So why are the same genetics that won the first Cannabis Cups 20 years ago still winning? Why are the Netherlands-based seed companies entering genetics from on a handful of plants Neville introduced twenty years ago? Well, there are two prime reasons:

1. Finding quality breeding plants is hard work, you need to grow a lot of seeds out and this is going to cost a lot of money, not to mention a good deal of skill and knowledge when it comes to selection time. Large profits can be made selling seeds that are comprised purely of old genetics as the majority of customers are largely ignorant of the true nature of the product they are buying.

2. The Dutch ban on seed production in 1998 drove cannabis seed production underground, no-one is able to grow the large crops of thousands of plants needed to find quality breeding plants. Instead, the breeders are still using the same production clones and selected breeding males they had before the ban.

An internet post made by Shantibaba on the Mr Nice forum in September 2007 gives a good insight into the difficulties of finding new breeding plants from seed:

“If I select to work with a land race from a particular country, like Laos for example...there maybe nothing worth keeping initially, which is actually what happened to me. So as time permits and space, you put out another batch hoping things will change, and they sometimes do. In the 90s I did work and spend a lot of time on a Laotian seed...but I never found anything special or worthwhile so I kept the work up till then, in seed form and eliminated the plants from my grow room and library.

The general rule in breeding is to test the progeny and see how it comes up...most people are happy to have made a batch of seed, but the hardest work is in the selection process...”

Sam the Skunkman gave an insight into the volume of work required to create the later inbred generations of his Skunk #1 line is a series of posts at icmag in 2008:

“I grew 20,000+ Skunk #1 at one location in the ground. They were all from seed. I sexed them, or helped my crew. I rejected many males for many reasons, I cloned the remaining few hundred and tested progeny (with my best female Skunk #1 clones) to determine the best male for specific end progeny results, like most consistant, most potent, most diverse (for selections), I focused on Branching, Smells, Potency, Type of High, Yield, Flower to leaf Ratio, as well as a few other things... “

Actually obtaining new landrace genetics is not easy either, Shantibaba posted the story of how he tracked down the South Indian strain he used to create White Widow:

“The south indian hybrid originated from Kovalum Beach, but actually was grown in the mountains of Kerala. It was one of the most knock out effects of all time for me, so I went on safari and into the mountains to find it. After a few days of biking up to the area on my old Enfield I was lucky enough to be sitting in a cafe drinking a chai and smoking a joint. A middle aged looking glassy eyed fellow came over to me and shared my joint. We got pretty wasted and drank tea then he took me back to his village and onto his farm. It turned out this fella was the grower of this strain , and he recognized the smell...sometimes you get lucky! Anyhow I stayed there for several days and went through a lot of testing with him. He did not really know a lot but selected for the resin production. Considering it is high up and tropical it grew like a sativa but finished a lot earlier. He told me the seed had always been in his village but was slightly different depending upon the village you went to to get your things. It was not a big yielder but it was uniquely scented and incredibly pretty frosting as the plant completed it cycle. “

So here we are in 2008, and the cannabis strains available from the top companies are pretty much the same ones that were available 20 years ago, the gene pool has become extremely bottlenecked and based on a mere handful of plants. This is an extremely bad situation for a number of reasons, genetic diversity is being lost and this will lead to a generic quality with most seed lines being broadly similar in their genetic make-up. Sadly, it is the name given to a seed line rather than the genetics it contains that most customers base their purchasing decisions on, and most seed companies have exploited this. Shantibaba explained the situation in an internet post in 2007 (emphasis is mine):

“In the end it is a popular name that sells the dream to potential growers and not the true genetics, let's face it! Look at White Widow for example, which I introduced as seed in 1995...since then every man and his dog have something they call WW...I changed the popular name when I sold the old company and retained the original genetics ...a little bit of a reversal for a commercialist but considering it is no longer my main aim, it was not really too difficult to rename it Black Widow. I see that everyone still uses my description of the parent plants when it is obvious they never have had either of them...most just create an F2 or feminise an F1 selected female. So as you may well appreciate there is or hardly is any etiquette in this world of Cannabis Seed nor probably ever will be. I mean why would someone who begins tomorrow making seed try to sell some name that noone knows when all they have to do is have a cheap price with a common name that works?”

Sam the Skunkman made some very salient points on this issue in a February 2008 post on icmag.com and I think it is appropriate to let the man who introduced Haze genes to the cannabis seed industry have the final word on the subject (emphasis is again mine):

“If I had a dollar for every Skunk #1, or hybrid that has been copied and sold I could buy the USA elections and have plenty of change to do something good for the world.
I did not receive anything from any breeders for them copying my work or using it to make their own hybrids. They even steal my varieties names. That's the way it is.
Maybe it is my own fault for making true breeding varieties instead of hybrids? I though it was the right thing to do...
I am glad they are filling the world with seeds, I wish some "breeders" would spend more time and resources collecting genetics from traditional Cannabis areas to add to the Drug Cannabis Gene Pool, and using these to make IBL's or hybrids that were not just a reshuffle of varieties & genes around for 25 years. I wish the price of seeds was not so high.”

Sam has stated many times over the years that Haze made great hybrids, that it improved everything it touched. Perhaps he said this to Neville when they first met in 1985, thus inspiring him to make a series of Haze hybrids. Between them, Sam and Neville started the ball rolling and since then many others have carried on breeding with Haze genetics, and if Sam did have a dollar for every Haze hybrid seed sold, he would be a very rich man indeed. The most important reason behind the continuing success of Haze genetics is that they were created in one of the very few occasions when pure sativas were being grown outdoors in greenhouses in great quantity and that in the intervening four decades, no-one apart from Sam, and Neville have been able to work on a large scale outdoors. Perhaps there will be no further occasions when such large crops of cannabis are grown for the purpose of breeding until the advent of legalisation, until then, no-one is in a position to repeat the processes by which Haze genetics came about.

G

Pochodzenie Haze i Sam Skunkman.

Haze ma nieco pochmurną historię. Przyjęto wersję, że roślina ta powstała w śwrodkowej Kaliforni niedaleko Santa Kruz w latach 1970-1975 podczas prac w Haze Bros. W Haze Bros w wyniku krzyżowania roślin z nasion które importowali z Kolumbii, Meksyku, Tajlandii i Południowych Indii powstało wiele doskonałych odmian sattiva. Robert Connell Clarke w 60 numerze magazynu Cannabis Culture w swoim artykule 'Origins of the Species' wyjaśnia pochodzenie Haze:

„Orginalny Haze to długo kwitnąca odmiana pochodząca ze środkowej Kaliforni, uprawiana prawie zawsze w szklarniach tak by mogła skończyć w miesiącu grudzień - styczeń. Haze od zawsze był odmianą dla smakoszy a w 1970 roku sprzedawany był po 200 $ za uncję.Oryginalny Haze jest ustabilizowaną hybrydą sativa powstałą w efekcie krzyżowania najlepszych żeńskich roślin z męskimi osobnikami innych odmian sativa z ziaren importowanych każdego roku. Począwszy od Kolumbijsko/Meksykańskich hybryd od początku rosnących z nasion, w drugim roku do pylenia został użyty pyłek męskiej rośliny South Indian z koleii w trzecim roku do pylenia użyto męskiego pyłku rośliny Thai. W zależności od tego w którym zebrano nasiona Haze, rośliny wykazywały podobieństwo do swoich ojców ( Colombian, South Indian, Thai ). Oryginalny Haze ma różne nuty smakowe od cytrusowych przez tajską gamę smakową sativa aż do głębokiego kolumbijskiego, podobnego do smaku Dutch Haze.”

Dokładne dane na temat roślin uprawianych w Haze Bros nie są znane, jednak Kolumbijczycy mówią, że zawierają one Highland Gold, Wacky Weed oraz South Indian pochodzących z regionu Kerala. Selekcja Kolumbijskich oraz Meksykańskich roślin została oparta na tym by na szerokości geograficznej Santa Cruz (36.9N) uprawiane w szklarniach mogły dojrzeć w 100%. Haze Bros byli plantatorami sensimila i sprzedawali różne fenotypy Haze pod nazwami np. : Purple Haze, Silver Blue Haze, Lime Green Haze. Według Sam`a Skunkman`a purpurowe partie były sprzedawane do 500$ za uncję. Bros nie byli hodowcami a jedynie plantatorami i nigdy nie krzyżowali swoich hybryd, lecz to stało się później, kiedy jeden z Ich sąsiadów w Santta Cruz Sam Skunkman i jego współpracownicy zaczeli pracować na ich nasionach by wyprodukować linię genetyczną Haze, którą znamy dziś. Sam opowiedział trochę o tym procesie na icmag.com w 2008 roku:

„Oryginalny Haze składał się z F1 a z czasem F5 i wyższych, które obecnie znajdują się w wielu różnych liniach pokrewnych. Nie pracowałem tak długo nad Orginal Haze by móc zachować jego czyste geny, zebrałem tyle nasion ile mogłem, na początku lat 70 uprawiałem je oraz zapylałem by później dokonać selekcji by zapewnić jak największe zachowanie genów, jakie mogłem. To było w latach 70`ych i 80`ych teraz od dwudziestu lat mam klony. Moja praca nad Orginal Haze nie jest jeszcze ukończona, dlatego mówię ludziom by używali go jako materiału hodowlanego.”

Geny Haze zostały dostarczone do odbiorców na całym świecie w roku 1984 kiedy tto Sam Skunkman przeniósł się do Holandii biorąc ze sobą geny Haze i wprowodzając je do komercyjnych upraw. W Jego odręcznym katalogu nasion Cultivator's Choice nr4 który przypada na schyłek 1985 roku, Sam wymienia Haze jako #10 w składzie jego dziesięciu szczepów :

„Orginal Haze Sativa Pure (własne)

Wszystkie feno sativa ale niezgodne z hybrydami. 10 % bardzo dobre, 75 % dobre, 10% słabe. Słodki smak. Haj czysty i pełen energii. Wysokość 2-3 metry. Wydajność od 100-300 gram. Żniwa: grudzień (kwitnie 3 miesiące). Nie nadaje się na outdoor w Holandii czy północnej Kaliforni. Haze jest faworytem Cultivator's Choice's.”

W tym momencie Sam nie oferuje żadnych hybryd Haze. Haze nie czuje się dobrze pod sztucznym światłem, dlatego powstały hybrydy aby umożliwić plantatorom wewnętrzną uprawe tej rośliny by mogli skosztować odmiane Haze.

Neville i hybrydyzacja genetyki Haze.

W tym samym czasie gdy Sam przywiózł do Holandii garść najlepszych amerykańskich genów, młody mężczyzna pochodzenia holendersko/australijskiego zwany Neville Schoenmakers zarabia ogromne ilości dolarów w swojej firmie, która był Seed Bank. Po tym jak Neville w 1984 roku na łamach High Times zamieścił swoje ogłoszenie, natychmiast zaczeły do niego spływać koperty wypchane dolarami.
W artykule opublikowanym w High Timesw marcu 1987 roku pt. „Inside Cannabis Castle”, według Steven Hager`a :

„W zeszłym roku Jego firma dostarczyła do 15.000 amerykańskich growerów nasiona warte 500.000$. Jeśli w ciągu ostatnich trzech lat paliłeś marichuane wysokiej jakości, są szanse, że pochodziła ona z ręki Nevilla.”

Neville zebrał tyle nasion ile był w stanie z różnych źródeł i uprawiał je w poszukiwaniu roślin hodowlanych. Kupił stary wiktoriański dom położony nieopodal granicy niemieckiej, który nazwał „The Cannabis Castle”, dwa piętra przeznaczył na uprawę roślin a ogród był wypełniony szklarniami. Z uzyskanych nasion Haze wyhodował trzy rośliny, które nazwał A,B i C. Gdzie A i C to rośliny męskie a B to roślina żeńska.

Kontrowersje zaczynają się w tym miejscu i dotyczą one pochodzenia nasion haze z których Neville uzyskał wyżej wspomniane trzy rośliny, Sam Skunkman mówi, że Neville nasiona Haze otrzymał od niego zaraz po przybyciu do Holandii, z drugiej strony Neville opowiada histroię w której to nasiona miał otrzymać od pewnego mężczyzny w Nowym Jorku, który miał stary zbiór nasion i nasiona pochodzące z ręki Haze Bros 1969.

Sam na icmag 25 lutego 2008 roku napisał :

„Absurdem jest fakt o którym mówi Neville iż uzyskał nasiona w roku 1969 od Haze Bros.

#1 Neville do Ameryki podróżował nie wcześniej niż w roku 1986 lub 1987, główny z braci Haze – R. owyjechał w 1982 roku do Meksyku i przez dziesięć lat nie wrócił. To On był tym który stworzył O Haze. Drugi z braci Haze – J. zakończył uprawę O Haze około 1980 roku i potem uprawiał tylko Skunk #1, a kiedy stał się On chrześcijaninem przestał uprawiać cannabis, co więcej, powiedział mi On, że nigdy nie spotkał Nevilla i na pewno nie sprzedał nasion Haze ani jemu ani nikomu innemu.

#2 mówiono, że Haze Bros wypadło z rynku w latach 70`ych i przestało sprzedawać swoje nasiona, co jest śmieszne i niemożliwe.

Bądźmy szczerzy, Neville dostał nasiona ode mnie, ale obiecał mi On, że nie zrobi czystej Haze i nie będzie sprzedawał jej w niskiej cenie. Powiedziałem mu, że było by fajnie gdyby zrobił hybrydy Haze z odmian, które nie były moje. Nie dotrzymał On jednak danego mi słowa i zaczął sprzedawać nasiona czystej Haze jak i hybryd z moich odmian, wtedy zaprzestałęm z nim współpracę. Możliwe, że kłamał by uniknąć konsekfencji, które wiążą się ze złamanie danego słowa? Tego nie mogę powiedzieć, ale wiem, że Neville nigdy nie spotkał Haze Bros i nigdy nie dostał od nich O Haze. Obaj z Braci Haze byli moimi bliskimi przyjaciółmi i wieloletnimi sąsiadami. J.Haze do czasu kiedy wyjechał do Meksyku mieszkał kilka set metrów ode mnie”

Więc Sam mówi, że był źródłem nasion Haze dla Nevilla, Neville zaś mówi – NIE. Tylko Oni wiedzą jaka jest prawda.
Zostawmy kontrowersję i skupmy się na genetyce Haze.

Sam stworzył wiele hybryd z Haze, dwie najbardziej znane, Haze x Skunk # 1 i Haze x Keralan South Indian Sativai sprzedawane są przez The Flying Dutchmen jako Fuma Diablos Con i Haze Mist.

Neville miał trzy rośliny Haze, które nazwał A, B i C. A i B były roślinami męskimi, C rośliną żeńską. Żeńska roślina B nie była imponująca i nie dawała równie przyjemnego haju podczas palenia więc została odrzucona.
Męska roślina A charakteryzowała się ostrym zapachem i smakiem, natomiast samiec C miał bardziej ziemisty zapach i smak, podobny do Chocolate Thai.
Uważa się, że samiec A ma kolumbijski dominujący fenotyp, natomiast C tajski.

W 1988 roku w katalogu Seed Bank`u Neville pisze:

„Haze jest późną sativą z Ameryki, uznany przez ekspertów za najlepszy na świecie. Bardzo popularny w latach 70`ych w ostatnich latach prawie wymarła od kiedy hodowcy przerzucili się na łatwiejsze odmiany. Udało nam się uratować kilka nasion z ostatniej rośliny uprawianej w Ameryce i użyliśmy ich do produkcji niektórych hybryd. Haze jest znany z eksremalnego, prawie, że psychodelicznego odlotu. Zapach jest złożony i głęboki z nutą kwiatowych perfum które przeważają nad zapachem ciemnej skóry zwierząt. Kiedy używany jest do hybryd dodaje on fascynujących nut głębokiego i złożonego smaku, oraz czegoś wyjątkowego do haju. On nie jest dla wszystkich, większość zmęczonych koneserów nie będzie mogło mu się oprzeć.”

Pierwsza hybryda Haze jaka się pojawiła to był Haze x NL#1 hybryda F1, na liście katalogu Seed Bank w 1988 roku, nie wiadomo jacy rodzice byli użyci do zrobienia tego strainu, był on sprzedawanyn tylko przez rok. NL#1 pochodził z prawdziwej hodowli Afghani, więc zarówno rośliny męskie i żeńskie były dostępne, możliwe, że Neville wykorzystał samca NL#1 do zapylenia jego żeńskiej Haze (B).

Neville stworzył wiele krosów do których użył swoich dwóch męskich Haze. Skrzyżował męskiego Haze (A) z jego NL#5 i żeńskimi klonami Hashplant i żeńskim Skunk#1 (#17 z nasion). Również skrzyżował męskiego Haze (C) z żeńskimi klonami G13 i żeńską Hawaiian Sativa oraz żeńską Durban Sativa.
Obie hybrydy Hawaian oraz Durban zdobyły puchar Cannabis Cup w kategorii czysta sativa, które daje bardzo silne poparcie co do rodowodu hodowanych męskich Haze (C).
Hybryda G13 x Haze (C) męski pojawiła się w katalogu Seed Bank`u w roku 1989, ale najwyraźniej te geny nie łaczyły się dobrze i sprzedawane były one tylko przez rok. Hybrydy Hashplant oraz Skunk nigdy nie były sprzedawane, za to NL5 x Haze (A) męski okazał się być czymś wyjątkowym a oryginalny opis Nevill`a w katalogu Seed Banku z 1989 roku wywołuje u mnie chichot:

„Haze x NL#5

1989 – ze względu na wielkie zainteresowanie klientów, poświęciliśmy wiele lat szukając dokonałej hybrydy Sativa/Indica dostosowanej do uprawy InDoor, która nadal zachowa doskonałe właściwości Sativa. Haze x NL#5 jest owocem tych poszukiwań. Uwaga – Ostrzeżenie, znane są działania nieporządane, które występują u niedoświadczonych palaczy, szczególnie w połączeniu z alkoholem. Działania niepożądane mogą obejmować nudności, omdlenia, utrata kontroli nad pęcherzem oraz jelitami. Ekstremalne introspekcyjne zachowanie jest uważane za normalne.”

W 1995 Sensi Seed Bank w katalogu stwierdza :

„Ta hybryda jest szczytem osiągnięć w dzisiejszej hodowli konopii.Efekt : niezwykle silne rośliny ze wspaniałym hajem sativy. We wczesnych latach dziewięćdziesiątych na „Harvest festivals” ta odmiana o mile wyprzedzała wszystkich swoich konkurentów. Nawet dziś nie został jeszcze doścignięty. Wysokie plony rekompensują nieco dłuższy okres kwitnienia. Wigor tej hybrydy zapewnia bujny wzrost oraz ciężkie, oblane żywicą kwiaty. Jest prawdziwym mistrzem!”

Linia genetyczna NL#5 miałą stać się źródłem roślin hodowlanych z której później powstaną hybrydy haze stworzone przez Nevill`a i Shantibaba – Super Silver Haze, Nevilles Haze i Mango Haze. Rośliny te odgrywają bardzo ważną role w historii Haze pozwalają nam się zapoznać z NL#5. W marcu 1987 roku w artykule „Inside Cannabis Castle” opublikowanym przez High Times Steven Hager pisze dlaczego Neville wybrał ją jako roślinę hodowlaną :

Sztuka uprawiania indyki w pomieszczeniu.
Pochodząca z północno-zachodniego pacyfiku jest rezultatem wielu lat uprawy indoor – trzy do czterech upraw na rok co daje od trzydziestu do czterdziestu pokoleń w ciągu ostatnich dziesięciu lat. W katalogu Nevilla jest zdjęcie z cięcia mojej ulubionej C1#5 F1. Niestety nasiona tej odmiany nie są dostępne, są tylko sadzonki. Jeżeli jest ktoś w stanie zrobić coś bardziej żywicznego to chciałbym to zobaczyć. Nie ma wiele smaku. Hodowca miał konkretny cel: wysoka zawartość żywicy. To mu na pewno się udało. Ma łągodne działanie indyki, stajesz się przyjemnie skamieniały – jest niemal przeciwieństwem Afghani#1. Chociaż są odmiany smaczniejsze, to tą jedną mogłem palić cały dzień.

Shantibaba w 2008 roku opisał cięcie NL#5 na stronie mrnice.nl:

„Początki rośliny NL, którą hodowaliśmy pochodzą z Afganistanu, pracowano nad nią w Ameryce w latach 80`ych i Holandii ... jedna z roślin doprowadziła do powstania wielu mieszańców. Nie ma Thai w naszej wersji, jest prawie 100% indyki, która dochodzi w ciągu 45-55 dni i jest wyjątkowo żywiczna.”

Gen wyjątkowo żywicznego klonu, który reprezentował sztuke uprawiania indyki indoor jest oczywistym wyborem do hybrydyzacji czystej sativy jak Haze. Krzyżówka Haze x NL#5 okazała się wielkim sukcesem, który pokazał, że Neville dokonał słusznego wyboru krzyżując ze sobą Haze z NL#5.

Cannabis Cup.

Podczas gdy w Holandii spotkałem Nevilla i napisałem artykuł „Inside Cannabis Castle” redaktor High Times, Steven Hager spotkał się z Samem Skunkman i po usłyszeniu opowieści o festiwalu „Harvest Festival” odbywającym się w 1970 roku w Kaliforni, wpadł na pomysł utworzenia Cannabis Cup. W listopadzie 1988 roku odbyło się pierwsze nieoficjalne High Times Cannabis Cup w którym udział wzieły cztery firmy - Neville's The Seed Bank, Ben Dronker's Sensi Seed Club, Super Sativa Seed Club (SSSC) oraz Cultivator's Choice (Sam the Skunkman). Sam wygrał z Skunk#1 ale zniechęciła go idea konkursu i się wycofał. Sam sprzedał swoje geny do Neville'a, Ben Dronkers i Eddy Rekedder (który później założył The Flying Firma Seed Holendrzy i Cannabis College), więc geny które przywiózł ze sobą z Ameryki sały się jednym z elementów współczesnych hybryd.
Te same cztery firmy rok później zakwestonowały drugie Cannabis Cup i Seed Bank Nevilla zdobył Clean Sweep – wygrywając wszystkie nagrody wykorzystując geny zakupione od Sama. Haze x South African Sativa wygrał w kategorii Pure Sativa, natomiast Early Pearl x Skunk No.1 x Northern Lights No.5 x Haze wygrał w kategorii Mostly Sativa. W następnym roku Neville powtórzył Clean Sweep z rośliną Haze x Hawaiian wygrywając Pure Sativa Cup, oraz z rośliną NL#5 x Haze wygrywając Mostly Sativa Cup. NL#5 wygrał Pure Indica Cup.

Operacja „Green Merchant”

Artykuł w High Times, a szczególnie obraz Nevilla liczącego duże sumy dolarów amerykańskich dało mu nie tylko rozgłos, ale też zwróciło uwagę DEA(Drug Enforcement Administration) na sklepy z hydroponicznymi zestawami do uprawy i plantaorów marihuany. Operacja „Green Merchant” zaczeła się 26 października 89 roku. DEA i inne organy ścigania zrobiły nalot na sklepy z zestawami hydroponicznymi w 46 stanach, aresztowano 119 osób, zajeli kilka sklepów w których uprawiano marihuane oraz tysiące roślin konopi indyjskich. Ray Boyd opisał rzeź w artykule opublikowanym w numerze 56 magazynu Cannabis Culture:

„Właściciele sklepów oraz pracownicy patrzyli z przerażeniem kiedy policja plądrowała ich sklepy. W większości przypadków koszta nie zostały zwrócone, wraz z zajętymi rzeczami ukradziono sklepom i osobom prywatnym miliony dolarów. Jeden z kultowych magazynów Sensimilla Tips wycofał się z rynku a High Times spędził lata na odbudowie kontaktów z najbardziej dochodowymi reklamodawcami.

W 1991, DEA agenci zaczęli doręczać wezwania do sądu zakładowi Hydro Storeowners szukając adresó klientó i innych prywatnych informacji. Agenci robili naloty, przesłuchiwali i zastraszali setki osób i organizacji w tym naukowców urządzeń ogrodniczych z Nasa. Pod koniec 1991 roku w wyniku operacji Green Merchant aresztowano 1,262 osoby, zlikwidowano 977 upraw wewnętrznych oraz zajęto 17,5 mil dolarów w aktywach. Dziesiątki ludzi zostało poddanych karze od 4 do 15 lat więzienia, wielu z nich z obowiązkowym minimum, które nie pozwalało na obniżenie kary.”

Na prośbę rządu USA dnia 24 czerwca 1990 r., Neville został aresztowany przez władze Australii gdy przebywał u rodziny w Perth. W Nowym Orleanie postawiono mu 44 zarzuty, oskarżając Go o sprzedaż nasion marihuany dla tajnych agentów oraz plantatorów uprawiających InDoor na terenie Nowego Orleanu w roku 1989. Neville został zatrzymany w Ausralii, nie postawionu mu zarzutów, czekał na ekstradycję. Peter Gorman wyjaśnił co się stało w numerze 59 magazynu Cannabis Culture:

„Shoenmakers został złapany podczas wizyty w jego domu w Australii, ale na szczęście sędzia, który walczył zaciekle z DEA miał żonę z „sercem”. Żona prawdopodobnie lubiła zapalić przed seksem i zasugerował jej mężowi, że jeśli trzymany w więzieniu Shoenmakers zostanie poddany ekstradycji, jego życie seksualne uschnie. Sędzia zrozumiał i dał zgodę na zwolnienie za kaucją, dał Shoenmakersowi paszport i 24 godzinną przewage przed powiadomienie władz USA, które zbladły kiedy odkryły, że Shoenmakers zniknął.”

Więc z pomocą żony sędziego, Neville uciekł do Holandii, gdzie mógł żyć bez strachu o ekstradcję do USA a jego sklep z nasionami został w pełni zalegalizowany przez rząd holenderski, nie złamał żadnych holenderskich ustaw i otrzymał holenderski paszport.

Koniec Seed Bank`u, narodził się Sensi Seeds.

W tym czasie Neville sprzedał swój Cannabis Castle i jego rośliny hodowlane dla Bena Dronkersa, który był właścicielem Sensi Seed Club,nową firmę nazwano Sensi Seed Bank. Neville kontynuował pracę dla Sensi Seed Bank jako hodowca i jego Northern Lights # 5 x Haze był nagradzany w 1990, 1993 i 1996 na Cannabis Cup.

Sensi Seeds wydała hybrydę Haze o nazwie Silver Haze, jest to krzyż Silver Pearl z Haze. Sensi opisała Silver Haze tak :

Mimo wysokiej jakości satiwowego haju preferowanego przez wielu, plantatorzy uprawiający InDoor nie darzą wielką sympatią tego typu roślin. Sativy rosną bardzo duże, długo kwitną i dają skąpe plony. Spędziliśmy dużo czasu szukając odpowiedniej hybrydy Indica/Sativa dostosowanej do takiej uprawy. Przez krzyżowanie Haze, najpotężniejszej Sativy na świecie z niedominującą indyką udało nam się uzyskać wysokość oraz czas kwitnienia rośliny do akceptowalnego poziomu, zachowując przy tym unikalne właściwości sativa.

Silver Pearl powstał poprzez zapylenie klonu żeńskiej NL#5 męskim Early Pearl x Skunk #1. Early Pearl jest to krzyżówka Early Girl x Pollyana, dwie kalifornijskie odmiany sprowadzone przez Sama do Holandii w 1984 roku. Early Girl była hybrydą outdoor F2 inica x sativa stworzona w północnej Kaliforni, a Pollyana był szczepem meksykańskim. Neville stworzył Early Pearl w roku 1987 wykorzystaniem roślin uprawianych z nasion zakupionych od Sama. Neville w późniejszym czasie stosował chów wsobny dla trzeciej generacji tworząc Early Pearl który w 1988 roku pojawił się w katalogu Seed Bank`u. Silver Pearl również została stworzona przez Nevilla, męska roślina pochodziłą z linii nasion Early Pearl x Skunk#1, odmiana ta zostałą wymieniona w 1988 w katalogu Seed Bank`u i opisana jako mająca pąki większe niż każdy z jej rodziców, żeńska roślina to klon NL#5. Silver Pearl wygrał Cannabis Cup w kategorii Seed Company w 93 roku.
Po odejściu Nevilla od Sensi Seeds, wydaje więcej odmian na bazie Haze.
Jack Herer ukazał się w 1994 roku na Cannabis Cup, poniżej jest oryginalny opis Sensi Seeds dla Jacka Herera :

„Jack Herer jest multi hybrdą, wynikiem wielu lat selektywnej hodowli,łączącej trzy z najsilniejszych odmian marihuany znanej człowiekowi. Mimo że są stale pod ciśnieniem obsesyjnych plantatorów by zdradzić im szczegóły dotyczące genetyki, obawiam się, że tak jak receptura Coca Coli odmiana Sensi musi pozostać tajemnicą. Ta odmiana produkuje tyle żywicy, że nawet gałęzie są nią pokryte. Odmiana ta zosałą zaprezentowana na High Times Cannabis Cup na cześć Jacka Herera, jednego z największych amerykańskich działaczy cannabis i autora Tthe Emperor Wears No Clothes. Magazyn High Times : „to był ciężki top, oblany kryształami i żywicą, haj był natychmiastowy, doskonała odmiana”.

Sensi Seeds mówi, że rodowód jest ściśle strzeżoną tajemnicą, przyjmuje się, że Jack Herer jest hybryda pochodzącą z trzech roślin - Skunk#1, NL#5 i Haze. Dokładne pochodzenie to prawdopodobnie Haze x [NL#5 x (NL#5 x Skunk#1)] co sugeruje, że Sensi Seeds rozpoczął pracę od wybrania samca z ich linii geneycznej Nl#5 x Sk#1 (Shiva Skunk) oraz zastosował krzyżowanie wsteczne do żeńskiego NL#5. Kiedy Sensi Seeds odkupiło rośliny od Nevilla, weszli w posiadanie obu samców Haze oznaczonych A i C, więc jest prawdopodobne, że wybrali wtedy żeńską roślinę NL#5 x ( NL#5 x Skunk#1) i zapylili ją jednym z samców by stworzyć Jacka Herera. To mogło by stworzyć Jacka z 50% Haze, 37,5 % NL#5 i 12,5 % Skunk#1. To daje Jackowi Hererowi kompozycję bardzo podobną do Super Silver Haze oraz Mango Haze, kttóre skłądają się z 50 % Haze, 25% NL#5 i 25 % Skunk#1.

Jack Herer jest niestabilną hybrydą, a zatem rośliny wyhodowane z nasion, wydają się być bardzo zróżnicowane. Jednak jakość fenotypów w linii jest doskonała i dlatego wielu hodowców „długoterminowych” ją wybiera. Sensi Seeds napisał kilka nowych akapitów na temat swoich szczepów do ich katalogu 2008, jest w nim wpis Herer Jack, który daje opis fenotypowych zmienności :

Rośliny z nasion wykazują korzystne zmiany ze względu na złożone tło odmiany Jack Herer i delikatne właściwości sativy i indyki. Rozbudowane funkcje z obu stron rodziny są mocno widoczne i są wyrażone w różnych kombinacjach, co pozwala producentom, aby wybrać rośliny macierzyste odpowiedni do sytuacji i ich upodobań.

Trzy z czterech fenotypów Jacka są mocno sativowe zaś czwarty ma wzorzec skierowany ku indyjce – szybko kwitnąca i stosunkowo kompaktowa z wyraziście zaokrągloną strukturą kwiatu, który jest dostosowany do komercyjnych upraw. Sativowe fenotypy Jacka również mogą produkować dużo na metr kwadratowy, gdy uprawiamy je umiejętnie, choć jest to rzadkie. Większość hodowcó, którzy obserwowali jak ich soczyste, super duże calyxy dojrzewały wahała się czy sprzedawać takie pąki, najlepszy Jack Herer jest zazwyczaj przekazywany w wybranym kręgu przyjaciół – przykład jednej z tych rzeczy, że pieniędzy po prostu nie można kupić.

Trzeci CoffeeShop o nazwie Greenhouse Centrum otwarto 1 czerwca 1997 roku Oudezijds Voorburgwal w Red Light District, kiedy Shantibaba przeszedł na emeryture wspólnikiem Arjana stał się Neville. Neville i Arjan zaczeli pracować wspólnie nad nowymi projektami hodowlanymi, każdy z nich wybrał żeńską rośline ze zbioru który liczył tysiąc NL#5 x Haze, roślina którą wybrał Neville sałą się połową Super Silver Haze, natomiast wybór Shantibaby stał się mattką Mango Haze. Shantibaba wyjaśnił oba wbory na na forum strony mrnice.nl w kwietniu 2007 roku :

„Super Silver Haze to jedne z tych nasion F1s, które gwarantują Ci znalezienie czegoś wspaniałego w każdym pakiecie. Jest to niewielka próbka z której znalezieniem nie powinno być problemu. Rozważając to by znaleźć żeńskich rodziców SSH Neville wysadził ponad tysiąc nasion w ciągu kilku lat. Potem robił badanie poomstwa, które jest ostatecznym prawdziwym testem hodowli. Zrobił kilkanaście prób aby upewnić się, że wybór był dobry.Wyselekcjonowanie tej odmiany zabrało mu kilka lat pracy, więc nie bez powodu jest ona bliska ludziom na całym świecie.”

„Różnica naszych gustów sprawiła, że ja stworzyłęmMango Haze a Neville SSH. Wielu ludziom do stestowania daliśmy obie krzyżówki, początkowo wskazali SSH jako faworyta, został uznany i dlatego napisano o nim historię. Jednak moim wyborem było MH, jeśli któremuś z Was uda się znaleźć wspaniałą matkę opiekujcie się nią dobrze, ponieważ uważam, że nie znajdziecie tak wspaniałej rośliny o tak słodkim zapachu.”

Neville stworzył SSH poprzez selekcje NL# x Haze(A) którą skrzyżował z męskim Skunk x Haze (A). Odmiana ta została wystawiona w kategorii HYDRO podczas Cannabis Cup w 1997 roku i zdobyła pierwszą nagrodę. Nasiona zostały udostępnione w 1998 roku na Cup. SSH ponownie wygrał kategorię Hydro, oraz zdobył pierwsze miejsce w klasyfikacji generalnej. Kolejna hybryda Haze od Shantibaby - El Nino, zajeła drugie miejsce w klasyfikacji generalnej. Super Silver Haze kolejne, zwycięstwo na Cannabis Cup zdobył w roku 1999, zdobywając tym samym hat-trick zwycięstw.
Tak opisał ją Shantibaba na forum strony mrnice.nl :

„Jest Misrzem Mistrzów od kiedy zdobył hat-trick na High Times Cannabis Cup w 1997, 1998 i 1999 roku, złożony jest z trzech najbardziej komercyjnych odmian znanych w niecywilizowanym świecie: Skunk, NL i Haze. To niewątpliwie królewski rodowód. Ta rasa jest doskonała dla tych, którzy pragną zachować „stach of staches” (nie wiem co to) i oderwać się od rzeczywistości. Ta skomplikowana hybryda jest w czołówce hybryd Haze, ma na celu zadziwić rolnika i konsumenta. Rekomendacja nie jest potrzebna, większość ludzi nie jest zachwycona Haze.”

Neville's Haze

Shantibaba i Neville postanowili stworzyć więcej hybryd z dominacją haze i skrzyżowali męskiego Haze(C) z wyselekcjonowaną żeńską NL#5 x Haze i to było sprzedawane przez GHS jako Neville`s Haze, wygrał Cannabis Cup w 1998 roku w tym samym w którym zosał stworzony. Neville's Haze to hybryda z dużą dominacją Haze, najbardziej polecana hybryda Haze dla upraw InDoor, zawiera w sobie oba samce haze A i C, lecz nie jest to linia, są to fenotypy, które wyrażają zarówno kolumbijskie jak i tajskie geny Haze.
Oto oryginalny opis GHS dla tej odmiany:

„Pochodzenie : prawie czysta Haze z odrobiną indyka (Northen Lights)
Nagrody : nigdy nie wystąpił w żadnym konkursie,
Siła : najsilniejsza odmiana tego typu na rynku. Nie polecam dla niedoświadczonych palaczy.
Kwitnienie : InDoor zaleca się uprawianie od początku 12/12. Najwcześniej po 14 tygodniach jest gotowa (25%). Te kttóre kwitną dłużej są zazwyczaj odrzucane jako niepraktyczne.
OutDoor powinny być uprawiane w tropicu, tuż przed rozpoczęciem się jesieni, plony są dobre, długi okres kwitnienia zazwyczaj jest rekompensowany wydajnością,zarówno wewnątrz jak i na zewnątrz. Nie poleca się jej dla początkującyych growerów i palaczy.
Specyfikacja : kwitnienie 14+, Cena 175,00$ (10nasion) kod : nh”

Opis Neville`s Haze zamieszczony przez Shantibabe na forum strony mrnice.nl:

„Hołd dla ojca wszystkich nowoczesnych firm nasiennych, Neville Schoenmakers. Jest coś bardzo specjalnego co zawiera w sobie ¾ sativy, każdy wtajemniczony rozpozna to po zapachu produktu końcowego. Trudne może okazać się by zdecydować się na uprawianie roślin, które kwitną 16 tygodni, to nie jest przekonujące dla growerów preferujących uprawy indoor. Wskazówka dla tych którzy znaleźli długokwinącą roślinę i chcieli by ją zachować : klony zwykle kończą o 2-3 tygodnie szybciej niż macierzyste rośliny z nasion. Pełny smak sativa sprawia, że nie dla Ciebie miłośniku indyjek jest ta roślina. Została wykonana poprzez kombinację czystej Haze z NL#5 /Haze, tworząc prawdopodobnie jedną z najbardziej znanych roślin tego czasu pod względem smaku, aromatu i działania. Każdy kto jest z 10' od równika powinien ją mieć na outdoor, do upraw InDoor nie ma znaczenia region. Wszystkie firmy nasienne na ziemi powinny powinny uczyć się podstaw u źródła nowoczesnych odmian Nevilla. Podobnie jak on sam ... legenda rośnie !”

Shantibaba zakończył współpracę z Greenhouse Seeds po Cannabis Cup w 1998 roku, wkrótce potem odszedł również Neville. Shantibaba wyjaśnia co się stało w artykule „History of Mr Nice” opublikowanym na stronie mrnice.nl:

„Nie przepadam za eventami więc zdecydowałem wycofać się w tym roku. Tak się złożyło, że mój związek z partnerem uległ pogorszeniu i nasze ega oszalały. W rezultacie sprzedałem swoje udziały Greenhouse Seeds Company i jako jedno osobowa firma stworzyłem Mr Nice Seedbank (MNS), który zawsze był i nadal jest firmą holenderską. Wkrótce potem Neville zrzekł się swoich udziałów w Greenhouse. MNS nigdy nie powierzył roślin niewłaściwym hodowcą włącznie z byłym partnerem.”

Shantibaba wziął swoje rośliny oraz zbiór nasion i przeniósł się do Szwajcari aby kontynuować swoją pracę, jak wyjaśnia:

„W 1999 roku prawo holenderskie uległo zmianie i nie pozwala na produkowanie nasion. Holenderskie prawo nie zabraniało jednak sprzedaży nasion importowanych z innych krajów. Chcieliśmy realizować nasz projekt nie łamiąc prawa. Zatem MNS przeniósł się do Szwajcarii gdzie prawo pozwalało na uprawę roślin dla nasion. Bardzo dużo holenderskich firm wraz ze zmianą prawa. straciło rośliny, pokoje matki i nasiona, a w Szwajcari rozkwitała produkcja nasion MNS.”

Po tym jak Shantibaba i Neville rozstali się z GHS, szczegóły na temat genetyki Haze które były oferowane przez Arjana stają się trudne do rozeznania, z pewnością rośliny macierzyste wykorzystane do stworzenia Haze zostały zmienione i są różne od roślin które wzieli Shantibaba i Neville. Jednak nie przeszkodziło to GHS kontynuowania sprzedaży tych samych odmian haze, które mieli wcześniej. Nie mam pojęcia czy oryginalne odmiany zostały powtórzone przez znalezienie nowych rodziców czy też genetyka była z innego źródła. Tylko Arjan i nieliczni z Greenhouse Seeds znają prawdę. Spekulowanie w tej syuacji w dużej mierze pozbawione jest sensu. Arjan posiada prawa autorskie do nazw White Widow, White Rhino, Great White Shark i innych, więc jestt to legalne by sprzedawać nasiona pod tymi nazwami, jednak nie ma żadnych przepisów czy praw regulujących autentyczność genetyki, więc choć nazwa jest ta sama genetyka może być różna. Shantibaba podał dobre wytłumaczenie w 2007 roku przez pocztę internetową :

„Nasiona konopi nie mogą być uznawane za autentyczne z wyjątkiem różnych szczepów francuskich, które udało się opatentować kilka lat temu. Tak więc każda firma która sprzedaje nasiona nie ma patentu i nigdy mieć nie będzie. Najlepiej jak mogą to zrobić to spróbować opatentować nazwę włącznie z nazwą firmy. Taka jest prawda i dlatego widzimy jak firmy takie jak GHS używają wszystkich nazw szczepów, pomimo tego że aby stworzyć feminizowaną wersję używają nasion F1 ... i to nie tylko oni, wiele firm nasiennch tak robi”

Od 1998 musiałem odpowiedzieć na tysiące skarg na nasiona od Arjana, które sprzedawał pod szyldem GHS Co. Nigdy się nie przyzna, że stracił lub zniszczył większość roślin, które mu pozostały, więc właściwie kupował nasiona od Ingemar (co jest nie do pomyślenia), lub próbował uniknąć prawdziwej hodowli wykorzystując hormony do feminizacji nasion. Powodydla któreych feminizował nasiona są dwojakie. Jeden z nich to taki, że sprzedaje je tylko początkującym osobą, którym zależy tylko na samicy, natomiast drugi, bo nie ma pojęcia z kim skrzyżować samca ... lub nie ma odpowiedniego samca samca z którego mogłby wziąć pyłek by zapylić samicę... każdy może to zrobić. Jedyny problem w tym, że ludzie ocenią jego pracę. Mała wskazówka dla wszystkich zainteresowanych, najgłośniejszy dzwięk pochodzi z pustej beczki ... Tylko Bóg wie jak wiele szczepów nazwał po swojemu ... to ego albo niepewność ... pozostawiam Wam to do przemyślenia.

Na przełomie tysiąc lecia GHS wydało wiele nowych odmian Haze : Arjan Haze 1, 2 i 3, Arjan Ultra Haze 1, 2 i 3 i Strawberry Haze. Konkretne szczegóły na temat tych odmian oraz genetyki są trudno dostępne, więc nie wiadomo czy zawierają one geny haze wprowadzonych przez Nevilla i czy w ogóle są tam geny haze. Niezależnie od autentyczności i jakości jego genetyki Arjan zapewnia, że nazwa Haze wciąż jes gorącym elementem w świecie nasion konopii. Arjan's Ultra Haze #1 został stworzony przez skrzyżowanie Haze od Nevilla z sativą z Laos i zosała wpisana na listę Cannabis Cup 2006, każdy kto to palił by zaskoczony kiedy ta hybryda zdobyła pierwsze miejsce.

Początkowo w sprzedaży ukazały się dwie linie Arjan`s Haze#1 na liście podpisany Nevilles Haze X Super Silver Haze X "secret haze", oraz Arjan`s Haze#2 jako Neville’s Haze X Super Silver Haze X Laos. Nie wiadomo czy są to autentyczne geny, czy nasienie zostało stworzone przez Greenhouse Seeds czy też kupili je z innego źródła.

Rodowód Arjan's Strawberry Haze jest zapisany jako Swiss Sativa X [Northern Light #5 X Haze], sugeruje to, że szczep został kupiony w postaci nasion od szwajcarskiego plantatora, który bazował na hybrydzie Haze x Erdpurt, była ona popularna wśród outdorowych plantatorów, pisząc w skrócie, szwajcarskie uprawy przeżyły BOOM w 2000 roku. Tradycyjny szwajcarski Edpurt ma smak truskawki, przeznaczony jest na outdoor, jest odporna ale ma słabą potencję i słabo zalewa się żywicą. Arjan's Strawberry Haze spotkał się z negatywnymi opiniami, kiedy pokazał się na rynku w 2006 roku, został wyśmiany przez jednego doświadczonego palacza haze, który stwierdził : „nie ma smaku, nie ma THC, prawdziwe siano.”

Tymczasem Shantibaba (jako Mr Nice Seedbank) stale oferował Neville's Haze, Super Silver Haze, Mango Haze i El Nino(przemianowany na La Nina kiedy GHS stało się właścicielem praw autorskich do nazwy El Nino), używając tych samych roślin rodzicielskich jak to uczynił w roku 1995 w 1998 podczas pracy w GHS.

Soma i G13 Haze

W 2001 roku pojawiło się nowe źródło genów Haze, ale jeszcze raz, nie zupełnie nowe, pochodzą od oryginalnej hybrydyzacji haze nad którą pracował Neville ponad dekadę wcześniej. Zagraniczny amerykański hodowca nazywany Soma wskrzesił niektóre z genó opracowanych przez Nevilla, po uzyskaniu dziesięciu sarych nasion od Ed Rosenthal. Soma opowiada historię w swojej książce pt.”Organic Marijuana Soma Style” na stronie 78:

„W 2001 roku próbowałem wykiełkować bardzo stare nasiona G13Haze, które pochodziły od sławnego genetyka Nevilla. Powstały one w 1988. Miałem dziesięć trzynastoletnich nasion. Tylko jedno nasiono wyrosło i była to roślina męska. To dało mi tylko jeden wybór – wykorzystanie genetyki, wyhodowałem samca, dla niektórych z moich istniejących już żeńskich szczepów i wybrałem kilka fenotypów. Ponieważ G13 Haze krąży po świecie, wielu hodowców jest zachwyconych pochodzeniem tych nasion.”

Neville stworzył hybrydę G13 x Haze w 1988 roku przy użyciu męskiego Haze(C) oraz żeńskiego klonu G13. Neville opisuje cięcie G13 w katalogu The Seed Bank roku 1988:

„G13 jest wybitną indyjką rzekomo „wyzwoloną” z rządowego programu badawczego w Mississipi i teraz to mamy. Powszechnie komercyjnie uprawiano rośliny InDoor w USA i jedną z najlepszych roślin w kolekcji okazała się być G13. Hybrydy G13 szybko kwitną, produkują dużo żywicy, mają doskonały potencjał i ekstremalny wigor hybryd.”

Nasiona G13 x Haze były oferowane do sprzedaży w 1989 w katalogu Seed Bank, ale były sprzedawane tylko przez rok, najwyraźniej geny nie łączyły się dobrze. Neville nigdy nie wykorzystał genów G13 x Haze, wołał zająć się hybrydą NL#5 x Haze. W męskim G13 x haze Soma znalazł pewne geny Haze, zgaduję, że Soma mślał, że ma męską wersję Haze(C) ale z genami G13. Neville i Shantibaba udowodnili, że męski Haze wersji C jest świetną hodowlaną rośliną więc Soma mógł przypuszczać, że miał podobnej klasy samca hodowlanego do pracy. Soma napisał w swoim artykule o hybrydyzacji :

„W moich najnowszych krzyżówkach pomiędzy męskim G13Haze (chciałem przenieść więcej genów sativy do mixa) z Buddha’s Sister, Somango, Somativa, White Willow, Lavender, Citralah, White Light, New York City Diesel, Rockbud, Reclining Buddha, oraz Free Tibet, znajduję jedne z najlepszych roślin w historii.”

Inni sprzedawcy nasion w późniejszym czasie zaczęli używać męskiego G13haze od Somy do swoich hybryd. DNA Genetics stworzyła kilka szczepów przy pomocy tego samca - Connie Chung, Sour Cream, Super Cannalope, Chocolope, C13 Haze i Martian Mean Green. Barney`s Farm również sprzedawał nasiona stworzone przez holenderskiego breedera używającego męskiego G13Haze, w 2005 roku wygrali Cannabis Cup na najlepszą sative C5 x G13Haze męskie, która kryła się pod nazwą Willy Nelson. Ten sam breeder skrzyżował również męskiego G13Haze z Amnesia Haze od Somy i z A5 i C5 haze, hybrydy te są dostępne w formie nasion w kilku sklepach w amsterdamie. Barney`s Farm aktualnie sprzedaje nasiona, które nazywa G13Haze, ale dokładnie pochodzenie jest nieznane, jest wymieniony przez Barney`a jako G13 x Hawaian sativa, ale klon G13 nie istnieje od ponad dziesięciu lat, bardziej prawdopodobne jest to, że hybryda ta powstała dzięki męskiemu pyłkowi z G13Haze.

Zadeklarowany miłośnik Haze stara się skomentować samca G13Haze w poście na stronie thcfarmer.com w grudniu 2008 roku:

„Wyhodowałem i spaliłem dużo(może większość) odmian, które powstały z męskiego G13Haze od wielu firm - DNA, Soma itp., i muszę powiedzieć, że jeśli szukasz smaku Haze i jakości jego mieszanek, to jest klon którego szukasz, z czymkolwiek tego nie szkrzyżujesz zawsze na górze będzie haze.”

DNA Genetics miało na temat męskiego G13Haze wypowiedzieć się w ten sposób:

„Pracujemy z tym samcem przez 4-5 lat i ciągle znajdujemy w nim ciekawe rzeczy.”

Zważywszy, że męski G13Haze jest jedyną rośliną wyhodowaną z oryginalnych nasion zrobionych przez Nevilla w 88 roku, jest niewielkim przedstawicielem tej hybrydy. Ponadto dominującym fenotypem jest Haze z minimalnym wpływem fenotypu G13, jest to widoczne w jego potomstwie, ma podone właściwości hodowlane jak oryginalny meśki Haze (C), dlatego można uznać, że jestt on ojcem. Męski Haze(C) udowodnił, że jest świetną hodowlaną rośliną, był użwany w wielu krzyżówkach tworzonych przez Nevilla i Shantibabe co owocowało sukcesem: logiczne jest, że męski G13haze był bardzo podobny do swojego ojca i powinien mieć zbliżony potencjał hodowlany. Wielkim sukcesem cieszyły się krzyżówki Soma oraz DNA Genettics do których użyto samca G13Haze, co wzmocniło reputację ojca – męskiego Haze (C) i jego wpływu na komercyjny rynek konopii.

Soma Amnesia Haze

Soma oferuję linie nasion, które nazywa Amnesia Haze, twierdzi, że stworzył ją z żeńskiej Laotian sativa i męskiego Afghan/Hawaian Shantibaby, w opisie odmiany nie ma wskazówek na temat rodowodu, jednak:

„Amnesia Haze jest najwspanialszym haze jakie Soma Seeds ma do zaoferowania. Zapach i smak są niezapomniane. Zaciągnij się dymem i zapomnij o wszystkim!”

Amnesia haze została wydana w 2003 roku, w tym samym czasie co krzyżówki G13Haze i zostałą wpisana na Cannabis Cup w 2004 roku gdzie zdobyła pierwsze miejsce. Soma nie wspomina w swojej książce o procesie hodowli w którym stworzył Amnesia Haze.
W opisie odmiany Super Silver Haze na stronie mrnice.nl Shantibaba pisze:

„Laureat wielu nagród również w latach 97, 98, 99 HTCC, w różnych krajach, pod wieloma nazwami takimi jak : Amnesia Haze, The Bomb etc ...”

Shantibaba wyraźnie twierdzi, że Soma stworzył Amnesia Haze w wyniku skrzyżowania ze sobą męskiego G13Haze z żeńską SSH. Niektórzy spekulują, że Soma użył jednego z zachowanych klonów Haze (A5 lub C5) i zapylił je męskim G13Haze. To miało by sens, Amnesia pojawiła się w tym samym czasie jak jego krzyżówki G13Haze.

Holenderska firma Hy-Pro wydała również swoją wersję Amnesia Haze. Dostępnych jestt niewiele informacji, ale może to być Haze x G13Haze.

Przetrwanie klonów z oryginalnych hybryd Haze od Nevilla.

Jest jeszcze kilka oryginalnych klonów z prac Nevilla, które przeżyły i są rozpowszechnione w Holandii. Najbardziej znanymi z nich są A5 oraz C5. A5 jest rośliną o smaku mango i jest matką Mexican Haze oraz Ocean`s Twleve Haze. C5 jest fenotypem wyselekcjonowanym z tysiąca roślin rosnących z męskiego NL#5 x Haze(A), które Neville zrobił na początku lat 90, z których wraz z Shantibabą wyselekcjonował matki SSH i Neville's Haze.

A5 Haze jest podstawowym składnikiem coffeeshopów w południowej Holandii, takich jak: Toermalijn coffeeshop w Tilburgu, Checkpoint w Terneuzen, Pax w Bredzie i Willie Wortels w Haarlemie.

Mexican Haze jest krzyżówką A5 i męskiej Mexican Sativa, istnieją dwa fenotypy trzymane jako klony; męski Mexican sativa już nie istnieje. Coffeeshop Dampkring w Amsterdami ma w swoim menu Mexican Haze. No Mercy Supply użył Mexican Haze w wielu ich hybrydach, największy odsetek jest w Mexican Haze x Victorie F1.

Inna hybryda Haze Nevill'a powróciła niedawno. Hashplant x Haze był pierwszy raz uprawiany w Hiszpanii i w niektórych kręgach jest znany jako HP13 lub Hollywood Haze.
Inne hybrydy Haze od Nevilla zostały również przywrócone. Hashplant x Haze był pierwszy raz uprawiany w Hiszpani, w niektórych kręgach jest znany jako H13 oraz Hollywood Haze. Shantibaba w 2005 roku rozpowszechnił dużą ilośc starych nasion Hashplant x Haze, i odmiana ta zostałą wyhodowana z tych nasion przez rolnikó w pobliżu Walencji. Kiedy klon przybył do Amsterdamu został spopularyzowany przez THSeeds pod nazwą HP13. THSeeds oferowało również hybrydę tego klonu nazywaną PG-13, co prawdopodobnie było krzyżówką HP13 z męskim G13Haze. DNA Genetics wyjaśniło historię w poście na stronie thcfarmer.com w grudniu 2008 :

„Od czterech lat mamy w Hiszpani rzekomo roślinę z HP13, uprawa jej trwałą 12 tygodni, jest rozciągnięta jak sativa i pachnie jak Haze. Kiedy w końcu skończyliśmy wiedzieliśmy, że jest to Hashplant Haze i po rozmowie z Shantibabą okazało się, że mamy rację, HP13 dało nasiona także w Hiszpanii... 11-12 tygodni kwitnienia i mamy bardzo łądne plony, wyprodukowałem z niej najlepszy buble hash jaki widziałem.”

Po raz kolejny Haze dominuje Cannabis Cup.

Jeśli spojrzymy na trzy najlepsze odmiany z trzech ostatnich lat, które wygrywały na Cannabis Cup nazwa Haze jest bardzo widoczna. W 2006 roku Greenhouse był najlepszy ze swoim Arjan's Ultra Haze #1, Barney z G13Haze i Grey Area wzieła trzecią nagrodę za Martian Mean Green od DNA.
Arjan's Ultra Haze #1 jest krzyżówką Neville's Haze z Laos Sativa.
Martian Mean Green to Sharksbreath x G13Haze, zwycięsca miał 50% Nevill Haze`s, drugie miejsce 50% męskiego Haze(C), trzecie miejsce 25% męskiego Haze(C).

Cannabis Cup w 2007 roku wygrał Barney ze swoim G13Haze, Greenhouse z SSH zdobył trzecie miejsce, geny w obu tych odmianach pochodziły od męskiego Haze(C), DNA z Chockolope byli na miejscu drugim. Chockolope to OG Choc Thai x Cannalope Haze, więc prawdopodobnie zawiera niewielką ilość genó męskich Haze A lub C.

W 2008 roku puchar zdobyły znowu hybrydy haze. tym razem wygrał Super Lemon Haze z Greenhouse, Barney jest na drugim miejscu z Utopia Haze. Utopia Haze jest to uproszczone stare C5 Haze, poprawiono ją genetycznie NL5 x Haze A męskie. Każdy z kim rozmawiałem twierdził, że Super Lemon Haze to aktualny Super Silver Haze, Greenhouse zaś twierdziło, że jest to SSH x Lemon Skunk, ale nie jestem o tym przekonany. Chocolope trzeci rok z rzędu zajeło trzecie miejsce, wszystkie z najlepszych trzech strainów w pewnym stopniu były oparte na samcach Haze wychodowanych z nasion przez Nevilla dwadzieścia lat wcześniej.

Jeśli zrobimy listę dziewięciu odmian, które zajmowały pierwsze trzy miejsca na Cannabis Cup w ostatnich trzech lat, to da nam obraz co jest sercem najbardziej udanych odmian:

Z tabeli wynika, że niewielka liczba roślin była użyta do stworzenia tej genetyki,męskie Haze A i C miało największy udział, klony Northern Lights # 5 i G13 tworzą większość pozostałej części, jest tam również coś ze Skunk#1 w Super Silver/Lemon Haze. Drobny wkłąd nowszych genów pochodzi od Laos Sativa w Arjan's Ulta Haze #1, mała ilość Jamaican Lambsbread i Greet White Shark w Martian Mean Green i podobno w Thai, części Chocolope.

Więc dlaczego te same geny które zdobyły pierwsze puchary Cannabis Cup 20 lat temu wciąż wygrywają? Dlaczego holenderskie firmy nasienne na bazują na genach Nevilla przedsttawionych 20 lat temu? Cóż, są dwa główne powody:

1.Znalezienie dobrej jakości rośliny hodowlanej jest ciężkim zadaniem, trzeba wysadzić bardzo dużo nasion, co jest kosztowne, nie wspominając już o tym, że potrzeba jest wiele umiejętności i wiedzy na etapie selekcji. Duże zyski może przynosić sprzedaż nasion, które skłądają się wyłącznie ze starych genów, w dużej mierze większość klientów jest nieświadoma prawdziwego charakteru produktu, który kupuje.

2.Holenderski zakaz produkcji nasion 2 1998, spowodował rozkwit „podziemnych produkcji”, nikt nie był w stanie uprawiać setek roślin potrzebnych do znalezienia rośliny hodowlanej dobrej jakości. Zamiast tego, hodowcy nadal używa tych samych klonów produkcyjnych i wybranych samców hodowlanych które mieli przed wprowadzeniem zakazu.

Shantibaba we wrześniu 2007 na forum Mr Nice opisuje jak trudno jest znaleźć roślinę hodowlaną z nasion:

„Jeśli mogę wybrać do pracy rasę z danego kraju jak np. Laos, może początkowo nic specjalnego, co rzeczywiście mi się przytrafiło. Tak jak pozwoli czas i przestrzeń, możesz wysadzić kolejna partię mając nadzieję, że coś się zmieni, i czasem sie zmienia. W latach 90' pracowałem i spędzałem dużo czasu nad nasionami Loatian, ale nigdy nie znalazłem niczego specjalnego lub wartościowego więc wstrzymałem prace w postaci nasion aż do czasu, wyeliminowania rośli z grow roomu i biblioteki.”

Ogólną zasadą w hodowli jest testowanie potomstwa i sprawdzenie co z tego wyjdzie ... większość ludzi jest szczęsliwa mogąc stworzyć partię materiału siewnego, ale najtrudniejszą pracą jest selekcja ...”

Sam Skunkman dał wgląd do ilości pracy wymaganej do stworzenia wsobnych pokoleń jego Skunk#1, jest o tym seria postów na icmag z 2008 roku :

„Wyhodowałem ponad 20 tysięcy Skunk#1 w jednym miejscu na ziemi. Wszystkie były z nasion. Odrzuciłem wiele samców z wielu powodów, sklonowałem pozostałe kilka set i testowałem potomstwo ( z moim najlepszymi żeńskimi klonami Skunk#1) aby ustalić w końcowym rezultacie najlepszą męską roślinę w konkretnych specyfikacjach, ja skupiłem się na rozgałęzieniu, zapachu, potencji, typ haju, plonie, stosunku topów do liści a także paru innych ...”

Obecnie uzyskanie nowej genetyki Landrance nie jest łatwe, Shantibaba opisał historię jak wytropił szczep Souh Indian używany do tworzenia White Widow:

„Hybryda South Indian pochodzi z Kovalum Beach, ale faktycznie była uprawiana w górach Kerala. To był jeden z najbardziej wybitnych nokautujących efektów dla mnie, więc poszedłem na Safari, i w góry żeby go znaleźć. Po kilku dniach jazdy na rowerze do obszaru Enfield miałem szczęście siedzieć w kawiarni, pić herbatę i palenia skręta. Mężczyzna w średnim wieku, mający szkliste oczy podszedł do mnie i wspólnie spaliliśmy jointa. Byliśmy całkiem zmarnowani, kupiliśmy herbatę, wtedy On zabrał mnie do jego wioski na swoją farmę. Okazało się, że ów mężczyzna był hodowcą tej odmiany i rozpoznał zapach ... czasem masz szczęście! Zresztą, zostałem tam kilka dni i przeszedłem z nim wiele testów. On nie za wiele wiedział na ten temat, ale wybrał je do produkcji żywicy. Pod względem haju jak i tropicalnych warunków uprawy które lubi jest podobna do sativy tyle, że krócej kwitnie. Powiedział mi, że nasiona zawsze były w jego wiosce, ale były nieco inne niż w wiosce gdzie ja byłem. Jego plon nie był duży, ale był wyjątkowo pachnący a roślina, która kończyła cykl była niesamowicie oszroniona.”

Więc jesteśmy w 2008 roku a szczepy konopi dostępne w najlepszych sklepach są prawie takie same jak były 20 lat temu, pula genów stała się bardzo wąska, na podstawie kilku roślin. To eksremalnie zła sytuacja z wielu powodów, różnorodność genetyczna jest porażką, wszystkie nasiona są do siebie podobnie genetycznie. Sadly jest to nazwa nadana dla linii nasion która zastąpiła nazwę starych genów, co powoduje, że więcej klientów zdecyduje się ją kupić i więcej firm nasiennych ją wykorzysta. Shantibaba wyjaśnia sytuację w internetowym poście z 2007 roku:

„W końcu jest to popularna nazwa, która daje wyobrażenie potencjalnym growerom a nie prawdę o genach. Nie oszukujmy się ! Spójrzmy np. na White Widow, którą przedstawiłem jako nasiono w 95 roku ... od tamtej pory każdy człowiek i jego pies mają coś co nazywają W.W. ... zmieniłem popularną nazwę kiedy sprzedałem starą firmę i wróciłęm do oryginalnej genetyki ... trochę zmieniłęm dla skomercjalizowania, ale uznaję, że to nie jest mój cel, to nie było zbyt trudne by zmienić nazwę na Black Widow. Widzę, że wszyscy nadal używają mojego opisu roślin rodzicielskich, kiedy oczywistym jest, że nigdy nie mieli żadnego z nich ... większość po prostu tworzy na F2 albo feminizuje na wyselekcjonowanej żeńskiej F1. Więc jak można ocenić nie ma i prawdopodobnie nie będzie żadnych etykiet w świecie cannabis seeds. Mam na myśli, dlaczego ktoś kto zaczyna jutro robić nasiona chce sprzedać je pod nazwą rośliny, której nawet nie zna skoro wszystko co musi zrobić to mieć nazwę zwyczajową i niskie ceny, to działa?”

Sam Skunkman zrobił kilka bardzo istotnych punktów w tej sprawie w lutym 2008 roku na icmag.com i myślę, że należy pozwolić człowiekowi, który wprowadził geny Haze do cannabis seeds by miał ostatnie słowo w tej sprawie:

„Gdybym miał dolara za każdego Skunk#1 lub hybrydę, która zosttała skopiowane i sprzedana mógłbym kupić USA i zrobić coś dobrego dla świata. Nie otrzymałem nic od hodowców, kttórzy kopiowali moją pracę lub wykorzystywali ją do tworzenia hybryd. Oni nawet ukradli moje warianty nazw. Tak to jest. Może to tylko moja wina bo stworzyłem prawdziwe odmiany hodowlane zamiast hybryd. Myślałem, że to słuszne... cieszę się, że wypełniają świat nasionami, chciałbym aby hodowcy spędzali więcej czasu i wkładali więcej środków w zbieranie genów z tradycyjnych obszarów cannabis i dodali je do Drug Cannabis Gene Pool, oraz użyli do zrobienia IBL lub hybryd, które nie byłyby przetestowanymi genami sprzed 25 lat. Życzę sobie by cena nasion nie była zbyt wysoka.”

Sam stwierdzał wiele razy przez lata, że Haze stworzył świetne hybrydy, jest to udowodnione. Być może powiedział to Nevillowi kiedy pierwszy raz się spotkali w 85 roku, tym samym zainspirował go do zrobienia serii hybryd z Haze. Sam i Neville zaczeli odbijać między sobą piłeczkę i od tego czasu prowadzili hodowlę z genetyką Haze, i jeśli Sam miałby dolara za każde sprzedane nasiono hybrydy haze byłby rzeczywiście bardzo bogaty. Najważniejszym powodem trwałego sukcesu genetyki Haze było to, że został stworzony w odpowiednim momencie, wtedy kiedy w szklarniach uprawiano czyste sativy na dużą skale. Nikt poza Samem i Nevillem nie był w stanie pracować na tak dużym obszarze. Być może nie będzie już takich sytuacji kiedy konopie są uprawiane do celów hodowlanych na dużą skale, aż do nadejścia legalizacji. Do ttej pory nikt nie jest w stanie powtórzyć procesów przez które powstały geny Haze.

Ostatnia edycja:

Z kodem HASZYSZ dostajesz 20% zniżki w sklepie Growbox.pl na wszystko!

nasiona marihuany
Góra Dół